Goniometer

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
I don know anything about goniomter now only i am hearing that word in Automatic Direction Finder (ADF) and in VOR.. What is goniometer what is the purpose and operation of goniometer? Can any one pls explain

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Wikipedia says a goniometer is a device for measuring angles.

I was thinking it is something you attach to your mother-in-law to tell when she is gone.

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
Goniomter consists of two stators and one rotor the two stators are kept vertically and horizontally.. In stators loop antenna is connected... This much only is in my book... Pls explain some one

someonesdad

Joined Jul 7, 2009
The term goniometer is a bit abused by numerous subspecialties; generally, it's a tool to measure angles. My sister, a physical therapist, calls a simple angle measuring device (two sticks about a pivot) a goniometer. I've seen machinists call an angle block a goniometer. I've seen them used in x-ray diffraction equipment and the old-style spectroscopes were sometimes called goniometers. Your ADF text seems to be another use of the term. No doubt there are many more...

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
Goniometer is used in radio receiver with directional antenna used as a system to determine the angular direction of incoming radio signals.... but i want technical information in order to understand the operation of Goniometer used in radio receiver i.e how it is finding the angular direction of incoming radio

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
if any one knows abt goniometer used in radio receiver just explain me pls... I am not talking about normal goniometer used for angle measurement... This goniometer also measures the angle but the angle of incoming radio signal....

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Check the link in post#4; click on "directional antenna" under the subheading of "Operation."

When you say you want "technical information," are you asking for a high-level overview, theoretical understanding of how an antenna works, detailed construction plans, or anything in between?

Have you done your own searches and just need the gaps filled in? Can you be more specific what it is that you need more information about?

John

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
Goniomter consists of two stators and one rotor the two stators are kept vertically and horizontally.. on stators loop antenna is connected. rotor is connected to loop amplifier then balance modulator... how the goniometer senses the angular direction of the incoming signal?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J General Electronics Chat 5
A General Electronics Chat 5