Gold And More Gold

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by loosewire, Aug 11, 2011.

1. loosewire

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    There Is only so much solid gold bars and coins 99% pure.
    Then they start selling paper certifcates, in the rush for
    security against stocks people are buying in haste.Watch out
    for the only BUBBLE left. On the first day of sell offs gold
    went down four points.Your broker will remind you of that
    if a sell off cost you.The paper is just paper it would take
    a few seconds to pop the bubble. Tell me where the safety
    is in your Investment ,If there Is such a thing.

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    how about actual gold (bars, coins, etc), under your bed.

3. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Loosewire is well known on this forum for his many or actually endless golden nuggets of entertainment:rolleyes:

4. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    I agree with most of that. Gold is only worth what people are willing to pay for it, it's actual industrial uses are fairly small so it's entirely possible for it to become overvalued and then crash in price - the classic bubble.
    However the paper certificates (probably electronic these days) do actually mean you own a piece of gold somewhere. You could probably have it shipped to you, and no-one else owns that bit of gold.

5. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I understand neither why this is still considered a safe haven investment. A lot of people are expecting a major downward correction after this last parabolic move...

6. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    I'm not so sure about that. Paper gold can be highly leveraged (not in the US anymore for retail brokers though).

7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I consider gold (physical gold, in your hand) safe, as in a doomsday scenario only. In the case of rampant hyperinflation or if society were to collapse, having a few gold nuggetts on hand might help you through it. As far as investments/financial gain, I don't consider it "safe"

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If society collapses paper certs are only worth the paper they are printed on. Gold is like everything else, it can be a good investment (Lord knows if you bought a $100 of gold 10 years ago it would have more than tripled in value). If the bubble bursts (which I doubt) it will still be valuable, there is a mystical quality about gold in peoples minds. It is not a coincidence it is the foundation for most jewelry.

9. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    No one is considering the recent report that some gold bars were found to contain high amounts of titanium. Are you really getting "gold"?

10. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I think land is a better (safer) invesment than gold or anything else. There's a fixed amount of it and with ever increasing population, there will be an ever-increasing demand for it. guaranteed. it's not as easy to invest in, but my plan is to save up and buy small parcels as I can afford them.

11. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    I agree :)

12. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    In the case of a doomsday scenario and the complete collapse of society you might find gold to be a rather poor investment even if you have physical possession. You can't eat a pile of coins, and the bars make rather heavy bricks.

However, an over/under shotgun with a sufficient supply of ammo has a utilitarian value all on it's own. Even the mere display of such is sufficient in many circumstances to determine the outcome.

Plus it makes a distinctive sound when loaded.

13. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Hmm, yes I think I like your idea better. screw gold.

14. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    Source, please.

15. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Planing on going Bandito are we? Bartering is always going to be around, and while I believe in being armed, I would rather trade for my needs. Historically I think you would have a hard time finding a time/place where gold has not been valued. Besides jewelry it was one of the first metals (copper being the other) that was used for coins.

Land doesn't travel well either.

16. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
  17. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    If it were titanium it might be worth something, the story mentioned tungsten. This is a case where something my Dad said comes into play, believe none of what you hear, and half of what your read. A single posting like this is probably false, and given the amount of conspiracy theories out there even more so.

18. TBayBoy

May 25, 2011
    The titanium/tungsten mix up was mine, google gold tungsten and lots will come up.

19. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I googled it and found it on plenty of other sites, but none that I generally consider to reputable. "reputable" is relative though as I don't fully trust any news source. Not that I don't trust them to report correctly, just that I don't trust them to report on things that they should. I don't know whether I believe this or not.

20. joeyd999

AAC Fanatic!

Jun 6, 2011
    You present an obscure blog post as a source?????

Even if true, which at this point I doubt, the solution is simple...don't buy gold bars (not that most of us could afford them anyway). Buy coins instead.