Going metric...

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Having worked for a division of General Motors for a good part of my life, the US is working under the metric system. All the blueprints were metric, but since our machines had inch dials, we converted prints from metric to inch. The cost for industry would be very expensive to replace all of the measuring devices that are already in use.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The cost for industry would be very expensive to replace all of the measuring devices that are already in use.
True, but think how much of the equipment in service in 1975 has since been replaced. A slow but persistent bias towards making the switch would have gotten us there by now. Well, nearly so. I still have and use my grandfather's wrenches.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
True, but think how much of the equipment in service in 1975 has since been replaced. A slow but persistent bias towards making the switch would have gotten us there by now. Well, nearly so. I still have and use my grandfather's wrenches.
It's not so much the equipment, most of that is being replaced with CNC. It's the individual workers micrometers, dial indicators, etc.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Just like replacing ALL the altimeters and airspeed indicators worldwide overnight. This is one area that is practically immune to a smooth transition.