Going back to school, need help...

kirit

Joined Sep 9, 2008
Hello, just found your site and from the little bit of time Ive spent here, it seems like a great resource for me. :)

Ok, to my problem. I just went back to university after a very long time (years). I just started my degree in Computer Engineering, already have a BS in CompSci, and got into the introductory electrical circuits class.

Ive become extremely rusty on my math and physics topics. So I was looking for resources/guides/books that cover electrical circuits. As an example, the professor is planning on covering DC/AC circuits simultaneously and so doesnt plan to work of the book :eek: . So he starts describing/introducing different components of a circuit and we hit into some equations that use derivatives. Where I got stuck was going from the verbal description of a circuit to figuring out where all the number get plugged in. Sorry for the vague example.

So Im looking to brush up on my physics, math care to recommend some resources? Im going through the sites articles/guides but wanted to get as many sources as possible.

Thanks for you time, I might likely have to expand what Im looking for, but I hope some of you have gone through what Im going to through. thanks again.

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
The following might have been written just for you:

Mathematics Recovered - for the natural and medical sciences.

Author : Dennis Rosen

Pub : Chapman and Hall

isbn 0 412 410400

It goes from elementary number theory ( square roots) to fourier transforms in a light hearted and digestible manner.

Cliff72

Joined Sep 13, 2008
From your comment that you are having trouble "going from the verbal description of a circuit to figuring out where all the number get plugged in" the book "Electronics Self-Teaching Guide" by Kybett and Boysen might be very helpful. It steps you through the math for many types of discrete circuits. ISBN is 0470289619 and you can read a little more about the book at this link to amazon.

kirit

Joined Sep 9, 2008
From your comment that you are having trouble "going from the verbal description of a circuit to figuring out where all the number get plugged in" the book "Electronics Self-Teaching Guide" by Kybett and Boysen might be very helpful. It steps you through the math for many types of discrete circuits. ISBN is 0470289619 and you can read a little more about the book at this link to amazon.
Thank you. That looks like the exact thing im looking for. :)

Hope I have better luck finding this in the local library than the Mathematics book. I think Im just going to have to purchase both books.