Gluing test wires to PCB instead of soldering

Merlysys

Joined Nov 17, 2013
Often its hard to solder test wires to a PCB with today's component density, so I am looking into gluing as an alternative. Have you tried gluing, what were the results?

Here is one product, I guess there are many others, which have you used successfully?

“Wire Glue” Conductive Glue
http://www.giftsandgeeks.com/product/wire-glue-conductive-glue/

Attachments

BReeves

Joined Nov 24, 2012
Maybe the same stuff they use to repair heated rear window defoggers on cars. My concern would be how to get it off so you can solder if you need to replace a component.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Often its hard to solder test wires to a PCB with today's component density, so I am looking into gluing as an alternative. Have you tried gluing, what were the results?

Here is one product, I guess there are many others, which have you used successfully?

“Wire Glue” Conductive Glue
http://www.giftsandgeeks.com/product/wire-glue-conductive-glue/
If you don't have the skills to solder things like SMD then you probably should not be messing with them. Through hokecomponents should not be an issue at all for soldering. You might want to invest sometime at honing your skills.

Besides once glued how do you plan to unglue should you make a wiring mistake or have a failed component?

Last edited:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I tried to use that glue to repair a keypad-ribbon cable arrangement. I couldn't get it to work because I found it very hard to control where the glue would go and not go. I couldn't draw fine traces, for instance. So I don't think you'll get anywhere with tiny SMD components. Maybe I just needed better technique.

I recall some success with that glue but I can't remember where I used it. Maybe the back of a solar cell, which is nearly impossible to solder?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
From the linked website, " BUT there is the issue of a potential hazard if a wire breaks off due to Wire Glue connections being brittle. Please keep safety in mind when you glue.) Drying Time: To touch: 2 hours; Through: 12 to 48 hours (Depending upon temperature, relative humidity coating thickness, and substrate)."

Why would you want to wait a minimum of 2 hours, before being able to add the next component? Or risk the components falling off?

If you can't solder that small of a component, why would you think you can glue one? Solder will only "stick" to metal, and stays where it is put. Have you ever seen glue do that before it's set up? Most glue's spread out and seek their own level.

Those kind of websites are usually selling stuff that sounds good but don't work in real life. :)

PackratKing

Joined Jul 13, 2008
I have found the windshield heater repair product extremely useful in some very limited applications for film-camera repair...
Some high end Nikons, Minoltas, Canons and others, employed PCB's of a ceramic substrate, that had solder pads deposited by a vapor process, which almost any flux would dissolve... Though I found it necessary to secure a connection with a dab of epoxy to stabilize it...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
, which almost any flux would dissolve...
And this doesn't create a mess? I would imagine it would be a real mess say in a perf board that a hobbyist might use.

I can see where it has it's application but considering toxicity, clean up and other issues it seems to be a solution looking for a problem.