Glue on Solder - What do you use ?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by litesteel, Aug 23, 2013.

1. litesteel

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 23, 2013
    To the experts here, what glue do you think this is ?

I am looking to glue this headphone jack piece back on to the board. Still works but its wobbly now, tipped it slightly one day and broke.

Any help much appreciated :D

2. eman12

Oct 26, 2007
    What about "Hot Melt Glue"? If I was you I would try that.

3. Shagas

May 13, 2013
    You can also try 2-part epoxy whenever In doubt :)
    I'd clean up the old crusty glue first though

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Super glue would work, be sure to clamp it. You may need a small hobby clamp or a hemostat.

5. trader007

Feb 27, 2010
    clean out the old glue best you can, and use hot melt glue! don't use epoxy because you will never be able to re-do it if it breaks again. hot melt can work pretty amazing, especially in situations like yours.

6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm a fan of hot melt, but I actually would prefer super glue for this. If you can get it into the cracks and then close the crack with a clamp, the result will be very strong.

shortbus and Metalmann like this.
  7. sheldons

Oct 26, 2011
    hot melt may be better im not sure with using super glue it will last -i sometimes use the type you mix-but if the socket was properly soldered to the pcb there shouldnt be any movement or breakages

8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Hot melt glue is fantastic stuff, but not in this instance. It is far too ductile to hold the connector in place. At best the connections will just break at the solder interface and not lift the pads.

Crazy Glue is also contraindicated as a main force here is sheer, and CG has little sheer strength. (It will hold a 200 pound man by his helmet as long as the guy doesn't wiggle side to side.)

A good two part epoxy will be far stronger to hold the parts together.

9. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Maybe I'm misjudging the photo but to me it looks like a cracked housing. Once closed, the force needed to re-open the crack is all tension, and cyanoacrylate is very good at that, as you noted.

I'm also a big fan of J-B Weld and other 2-part epoxies, though, and I agree it may be a good option here. I tend to prefer it when there is room for plenty of it, in and around any failed part. For tiny work I'd lean towards super glue.

10. trader007

Feb 27, 2010
    If its a cheap device and you just want to try to fix it, and throw it away if the fix doesn't work, then two part epoxy is what i would use.

but if you slather hot melt all over it, then press the housing back together to sandwich the glue in, you will have a strong result that is also removable in case you need to get back in there for some reason.

hot melt glue doesn't work the same as other glues, so you dont use it the same way. its much stronger as a filler then a binder.