Glue advice please

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
How much flexing will there be? Do you want the LED's to be rigid, or adjust to any flexing? Will it be exposed to sunlight?

Superglues usually set pretty rigid. I have used E6000 (or its equivalent from Eclectic Chemical) for bonding all sort of plastics to other plastics and substrates. Once it cures, it is surprisingly tenacious.

John

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
I always use a 5 minute epoxy when I do that. It gives me the time to position the lens correctly once applied. If the lens is not aligned properly, there will be hot spots on your screen.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I always use a 5 minute epoxy when I do that. It gives me the time to position the lens correctly once applied. If the lens is not aligned properly, there will be hot spots on your screen.
@frank55

Don't just jump for whatever glues people have had success with on general plastic/plastic binding. You have an optical application and cyanoacrylate (CA glues / superglue) tend to cause a haze or fog on clear acrylics and polycarbonates used in plastic optical parts near the glued surface because of vapor transfer. Look for specific CA glues that say, haze free or similar.

Also, the E6000 that was recommended above is almost pure Tetrachloroethylene (TCE). Some people are more sensitive than others so use it outdoors and with gloves. Essentially old-school brake cleaner with a bit of rubber dissolved into it. Known to cause kidney cancer and associated with liver and other cancers. I wouldn't use it indoors.