Global stupidity threatens our way of life....

Status
Not open for further replies.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Be careful what you build, kids; some police officers in the US don't know what a clock is for or why anyone would build one and their ignorance can get you into a lot of trouble.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34266389

To quote the officer:

"we attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only tell us that it was a clock, he didn't offer any explanation as to what it was for or why he created this device"

Very sad :(

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Sad but hard to avoid, I guess. How you could?

For totally different reasons, more than 3o years ago, here, hams carrying 2-m band handies, risked to spend some time behind the bars because police considered them simply suspects. One of our oldest / most important radio club, had articulated kind of a "quick response" team with voluntaries (included a lawyer) to get them out quickly. Then, later, mobiles took it by storm. And Nextel...!!

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Be careful what you build, kids; some police officers in the US don't know what a clock is for or why anyone would build one and their ignorance can get you into a lot of trouble.

To quote the officer:

"we attempted to question the juvenile about what it was and he would simply only tell us that it was a clock, he didn't offer any explanation as to what it was for or why he created this device"

Its the Islamic extremists that have cast this over the people they claim to represent.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Holey smoke!!! I knew the police were stuck in the stone age, but the teachers are too?!

I should have seen this coming 57 years ago when I found that I, as a 7 year old person, knew more than my genuine, college educated, State Certified, 3rd grade teacher.

Forgive me, please. I so wanted the situation to improve that I refused to believe it didn't...until today.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007

To quote the officer:

Read it too... made me feel really angry that that kid's education is in the hands of such prejudiced, incompetent fools

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
The Police have an image problem, this did not help that.

At his age I was building model rockets on an Air Force Base, think about it.
At his age I was already building things that could actually blow up on purpose plus knew how to use guns and drive a vehicle. Given the new standards I should have been put on death row by age 15 just as a precautionary measure for the good of society. :eek:

No,wait, I'm white so I'm good to go.:rolleyes:

made me feel really angry that that kid's education is in the hands of such prejudiced, incompetent fools
Unfortunately that's the only type of people who can keep a job in our educational system now.

The best teachers of the past were replaced by functional teacher's years ago and now the functional teachers have mostly been replaced by the prejudiced incompetent fools we have now and those who run the show have seen the trend and are scared sh!tless of the next bunch that will replace the prejudiced incompetent fools lot. :mad:

BTW my parents worked in the school system almost all their lives so I know how this works form the inside. :(

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Police say he refused to tell them what a clock is for, thus fueling their suspicions.

OMG!!! The police are that stupid????

Sorry. Blocco covered that in post #1

I sure hope I don't get reincarnated. I don't want to live in this world during the rest of this century.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
I hope the charges of a hoax bomb are withdrawn. This makes no sense, at least from my California point of view.

I think I would have answered the same way when I was 14, maybe even in my 20's. It's a clock. What's it for? I don't want to insult an adult by saying it's to tell time. Why did I I build it? I don't know, because it was fun?

I do agree that suspicious activity should be reported. But I'm sure the kid told the principal that it was a clock, and at that point, the principal could have called over the engineering teacher to verify that it was, and that would be the end of it. The stupid thing was that they jumped to call the police without investigating further.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It was about a month ago that the Sarasota police saw a yellow bird house sitting on the sidewalk. They cordoned off traffic for a half a mile in every direction and sent two (2) bomb sniffing robots to see if it was a yellow bird house, complete with dowel rod perch below the entry hole, and it was. They are now looking for a homeless man to pay them cash for their stupidity.

Yesterday an airport was partially closed because somebody lost their suitcase and the whole world had to wait while a bomb sniffing robot blew up some dirty laundry. Of course, nobody has ever lost luggage at an airport, right? :rolleyes:

so, yeah, nsaspook has it. The terrorists have won. :(

Consider the following a re-tweet. I can say the exact same words and be telling the truth.

At his age I was already building things that could actually blow up on purpose plus knew how to use guns and drive a vehicle. Given the new standards I should have been put on death row by age 15 just as a precautionary measure for the good of society. :eek:
As recently as 1978, I wanted to destroy a small boat, so I emptied two clips into the bottom of it, and the police did not arrive.

My opinion of the best tweet? "Students deserve teachers that can tell the difference between a clock and a bomb."

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I read the same story earlier, and was going to post it here. But then I re-read it.

I cannot explain it, but it seems something is missing from the story. I suspect we will be learning additional details at some point in the future.

Or not, since the kid is < 18 y.o.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
The rest of the story is about how much the citizens of the City of Irvine Texas will pay that kid for having teachers, a mayor, and a police force, with a World Class Score in stupidity and racism.

And don't think you're safe from people that stupid because you're white. I was nearly stabbed in Atlanta when I pronounced, "Ponce De Leon" in its original accent.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
I read the same story earlier, and was going to post it here. But then I re-read it.

I cannot explain it, but it seems something is missing from the story. I suspect we will be learning additional details at some point in the future.

Or not, since the kid is < 18 y.o.
I know what you mean, it is hard to believe, but it was the police officer's statement that swung it for me; he had an opportunity to justify his actions and that was the best he could come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.