Glen's Medical Issues Thread

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I've never had an issue with it and to be honest the heat from your feet drives the stuff out of your shoes rather quickly.

Although it can adversely affect the body the required levels needed require either direct ingestion or large area and long exposure to skin to take effect (swim in the stuff for an hour and yea you will have issues.)

Simply put the area of skin on your feet and a few tens of minutes of rapidly diminishing exposure are not enough to harm you.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
... or damage your optic nerves, though that would be a lot to absorb through the skin.
Dickcappels afaik isopropanol isn't especially toxic to second cranial nerve but metabolites of *methanol* are:eek:! So don't use methanol or anything that contains it as denaturing agent cuz very small amount can do damage and once atrophy starts it can be progressive!

Here's disclaimer, I'm not health professional but I know what I'm talking about all the same:cool:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Since the subject of methanol has come up, it is sometimes mistakenly assumed that anything ending in an "ol" (i.e., an alcohol) is an active antimicrobial. Ethanol and 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol) certainly are. Methanol has little if any practical activity. Butanol (C4) and longer alkyl-chain alcohols have decreased activity, as their water solubility is decreased. There are many studies on the relatively antimicrobial activity of ethanol and 2-propanol. This CDC report cites a few of them: https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfection_Sterilization/6_0disinfection.html

My opinions of methanol:
1) Decent, sometimes unique solvent
2) Good model airplane fuel (and other fuel purposes)
3) Toxic on ingestion as in attempted suicides, but if treated early then effect on the eye can be abated. I am aware on one person who had a blood methanol concentration in excess of 300 mg% and survived with no visual defects. She was treated quickly. I would not be concerned about small incidental exposure to methanol vapor.
4) Many years ago, addition of methanol was the most common way to make ethanol non-drinkable ( "denatured") and there are cases of visual impairment related to individuals ignoring the label. There has been a strong push to avoid making denatured alcohol toxic for that reasons, and the focus has been on making it foul tasting or nauseating (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol ); some brands still contain larges amounts of methanol, though. Klean Strip is one such brand (http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GSL26_SDS-1625.6.pdf ) for which the solvent properties of methanol apparently outweigh the health risk in the opinion of its manufacturer. You can check the MSDS for a particular product to find what is in it.

John

Jazz2C

Joined May 27, 2016
Since the subject of methanol has come up, it is sometimes mistakenly assumed that anything ending in an "ol" (i.e., an alcohol) is an active antimicrobial. Ethanol and 2-propanol (isopropyl alcohol) certainly are. Methanol has little if any practical activity. Butanol (C4) and longer alkyl-chain alcohols have decreased activity, as their water solubility is decreased. There are many studies on the relatively antimicrobial activity of ethanol and 2-propanol. This CDC report cites a few of them: https://www.cdc.gov/hicpac/Disinfection_Sterilization/6_0disinfection.html

My opinions of methanol:
1) Decent, sometimes unique solvent
2) Good model airplane fuel (and other fuel purposes)
3) Toxic on ingestion as in attempted suicides, but if treated early then effect on the eye can be abated. I am aware on one person who had a blood methanol concentration in excess of 300 mg% and survived with no visual defects. She was treated quickly. I would not be concerned about small incidental exposure to methanol vapor.
4) Many years ago, addition of methanol was the most common way to make ethanol non-drinkable ( "denatured") and there are cases of visual impairment related to individuals ignoring the label. There has been a strong push to avoid making denatured alcohol toxic for that reasons, and the focus has been on making it foul tasting or nauseating (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol ); some brands still contain larges amounts of methanol, though. Klean Strip is one such brand (http://www.kleanstrip.com/uploads/documents/GSL26_SDS-1625.6.pdf ) for which the solvent properties of methanol apparently outweigh the health risk in the opinion of its manufacturer. You can check the MSDS for a particular product to find what is in it.

John
Tnx @jpanhalt! You seem to have in depth knowledge of biology and health science (disciplines near and dear to me!):)
So you already know this (in the next paragraph) but I'm mentioning it for the benefit of others:) At least I hope you agree b/c if you don't it probably means I'm wrong and if I'm wrong about such a basic concept HP isn't going to like it!:eek:

Anyway, speaking of misnomers I think it is also important for ppl to understand that even though ethanol can be said to be antidotal for methanol poisoning (b/c of ADH's greater affinity for and resulting prioritization of metabolism of the former) it is a bad mistake to think an abundance of ethanol in a solution containing methanol makes it safe to consume! It's risky business b/c high ethanol concentrations must be maintained until the methanol is totally eliminated! I don't deny that it's interesting that the methanol content in a 750ml bottle of rum or brandy is sufficient perminatly blind someone were it not for the ethanol but I wouldn't risk my eyesight or my self respect with denatured ethanol containing methanol:eek:

I know HP will make me regret this but in fairness I confess to not understanding why formic acid acidosis is more harmful than acidosis caused by acetic acid or why the optic (2'nd cranial) nerve is specially vulnerable?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Living in the tropics every couple of years I get a case of athlete's foot that defies the antifungal creams and pills. What has worked every time is a good long soak in a weak chlorine bleach solution. Simple, usually one treatment does it.
I find the first cause of athlete's foot is the usage of shoes with little or no ventilation. In the last two years I almost retired thus stopped using safety shoes and at home I stay barefoot or wear sandals even in winter. Not smelling athlete's anymore around here.

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I would not be concerned about small incidental exposure to methanol vapor.
Jpanhalt Maybe you're right about no permanent harm from very low dosing but I can get scintillating scotoma (ophthalmic migraine) from just brief exposure to dilute vapors and I know of other ppl who have scarier reactions to just trace levels formed by hydrolysis of silanes!

Jpanhalt I know what you mean about good for use as fuel cuz its easy to fight fire with water but I think is way too toxic to put in everyday products. Just my 2¢:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
I confess to not understanding why formic acid acidosis is more harmful than acidosis caused by acetic acid
JC you know carboxylic acids have wide range of toxicity! For extreme example compare citric vs. oxalic:cool:!

or why the optic (2'nd cranial) nerve is specially vulnerable?
JC, in the words of _her excellency_ DARE TO THINK:rolleyes:!

I know HP will make me regret this
JC you know the exact opposite cuz you are trying to win points with HP by being humble student:rolleyes:

Yo Aleph! No problemo! IMO you are THE authority on all things alcohol!
Careful, JC! Lest I loose *your* moldy skeletons;)!

I know HP will make me regret this
I doubt it:)

I confess to not understanding why:
1) formic acid acidosis is more harmful than acidosis caused by acetic acid
2) why the optic (2'nd cranial) nerve is specially vulnerable?
--- Formatting and tabulation added ---

Aleph adequately answered question #1:)

In response to question #2 -- I offer a single hint -- The 'enhanced' vulnerability of said nerve to formic acid and, to a markedly lesser extent, formaldehyde, owes far more to anatomy than to physiology... JC you know enough to answer the question for yourself! -- As per Aleph's daft deference to myself: 'Dare to think'! With special focus (NPI;)) upon the anatomy of myelinated nerves --- I expect you to work this out prior to my return!:cool:

Best regards
HP:)

Aleph(0)

Joined Mar 14, 2015
In response to question #2 -- I offer a single hint -- The 'enhanced' vulnerability of said nerve to formic acid and, to a markedly lesser extent, formaldehyde, owes far more to anatomy than to physiology... JC you know enough to answer the question for yourself! -- As per Aleph's daft deference to myself: 'Dare to think'! With special focus (NPI;)) upon the anatomy of myelinated nerves
HP that's TWO hints:rolleyes:! HP now I say you are making same mistake as with RK cuz you are just giving him the answer with TMI hints:rolleyes:!

I expect you to work this out prior to my return!:cool:
HP I say all the breath holding practice you're getting will pay off on here too;)!

Last edited:
HP now I say you are making same mistake as with RK cuz you are just giving him the answer with TMI hints:rolleyes:!
Maybe so:( -- For all that there is something to be said for maintenance of 'momentum'! -- For example, you (and others) felt that my introduction of 'Q' (Re: design of matching networks) was 'babying' RK ---- with the result that, in the absence of said 'perspective', he learned to design 'two reactor' networks but with the addition of an extraneous compensation reactor (relegating the lesson to a mere study/drill in complex arithmetic) --- Granting that RK may not have been a sincere student - I nonetheless assert that, is the student to remain engaged, 'interment' of concept by rote 'donkey work' is to be avoided at all costs - up to and including exposition!!!

Many sincere thanks for your considered feedback!:)

All the Best
HP

So could soaking your socks, in cheap vodka, also relieve athlete's foot?
--Emphasis added--

Without desire to be a 'wet blanket' (nor, for that matter, sock;)) I rather doubt a 40% aqueous EtOH solution would exert significant antiseptic/disinfection effect - so... nix the Philips:( -- Spirytus Delikatesowy, however, is quite another matter!:eek::) -- That said @Aleph(0) being, as per her avatar, 'the average Pole', might fairly be regarded as something of an expert here?;););):D

TTFN
HP:)