Glad I'm not a passenger

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The article claims this aircraft landed "sideways"... although it seems a little exaggerated to me, it's still pretty impressive:

http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...r?iid=ob_homepage_showcase_pool&iref=obinsite
I'm not sure about the Airbus A380, but it looks like the main gear trucks are castered, which allows them to align with the aircraft's direction of travel as the rear tires in the truck make ground contact.

In small aircraft you have to touchdown with the nose aligned with the runway, which means landing in a sideslip which means having one wing lowered. On aircraft with long wingspans, particularly if they are low-winged or have anhedral wings, you can't lower the wings very far without contacting the ground. So the aircraft has to land with the nose angled off the runway and the airframe and landing gear designed to tolerate this.

But if you thought that was impressive, check out a B-52 landing in a crosswind!

http://www.skilledpilots.com/video-...g-a-parachute-and-slowing-down-on-the-runway/

tggzzz

Joined Mar 14, 2015
The article claims this aircraft landed "sideways"... although it seems a little exaggerated to me, it's still pretty impressive:
http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world...r?iid=ob_homepage_showcase_pool&iref=obinsite
Absolutely standard operating procedure.

It happens every landing where the wind is not straight down the runway. Every aircraft of any size has a defined maximum allowable crosswind beyond which it cannot safely land. The angle of the "crab" is easy to determine using vector addition of velocities, arctan(Vcrosswind/Vairspeed) It only gets hairy when the crosswind is variable and gusting.

Beyond that, "flying sideways" is a standard technique for losing altitude without gaining speed. It was famously used in the 767 "Gimli glider" landing. Here's what is looks like from the cockpit
red wool indicates the direction of airflow, and in normal flight is straight along the aircraft's axis.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
I was waiting at runway 16 for take off clearance at Renton, WA (KRNT), when the tower cleared a brand-new, fresh-out-of-the-Boeing plant, 757 to take off on runway 34 (opposite direction on the same runway). I understand that as these aircraft roll off the assembly line, they do not yet have any interior (seats, fittings, etc), and they put just enough fuel in them to ferry them to where-ever the production process is finished. The runway is short, and they pull into what appeared to be about a 40degree deck angle to climb rapidly for noise abatement. It sure looks impressive when the take-off roll is directly toward you. I'm thinking that the 757 was more than 2000ft agl when it went over me. Not bad off a runway that is only 5380 ft long.
When I lived in Newport Beach they were hell on noise abatement. They would hold it at the end of the runway until it quivered like a new puppy, take it up as steep as they could then drop everything including your stomach. :eek: You almost always heard a gasp from a first time passenger.
A lot of diversions there as well because you couldn't land after 10 pm.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@WBahn
The Telegraaf uses cookies.
Due to european rules they must ask the user if the cookies may be used.
You can reduce the use by using the grey button (meer informatie) on the first pop-up.
Then choose the most right grey button (functioneel) and press the green button on the bottom (akkoord).
When you use add-block plus, an other pop-up will appear, but just press the blue text on the bottom to continue.

Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hello,

@WBahn
The Telegraaf uses cookies.
Due to european rules they must ask the user if the cookies may be used.
You can reduce the use by using the grey button (meer informatie) on the first pop-up.
Then choose the most right grey button (functioneel) and press the green button on the bottom (akkoord).
When you use add-block plus, an other pop-up will appear, but just press the blue text on the bottom to continue.

Bertus
Will following these steps result in them putting cookies on my machine? If so, then I will pass.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@WBahn
Outside europe, many sites do place cookies, even without asking.
The steps I gave you will give you the minimum cookies to have fuctionality.

Bertus

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Thanks, but I don't need the functionality at the cost of cookies. I've got my browser set to not allow cookies unless I explicitly approve them and most sites I can block all of their cookies and still get the content -- but there have been times that I've had to block over fifty attempts to install the damn cookies. I usually bail after about a dozen. Any site that absolutely requires a cookie I simply don't use unless I absolutely need to use that site or really, really, really want to. For instance, most of the financial institutions I do business with require cookies. So I let them install first-party cookies. The same for AAC. But I never let anyone install third-party cookies. I have yet to come across a site that I need/want to do business with enough to put up with that. Some day I may find one, but it will be a sad day.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

@WBahn
I have my browser set-up to delete the cookies when I close my browser.
I also delete the bowser history at closure of the browser.
I also do not use the cache, it sometimes costs a little more time to load a page.

Bertus

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I say no. Never give a site permission to use cookies. This has become a big thing now....this cookie crap. And the ad blockers. Never turn off your ad blocker......you want the site to know that you are using it.

AND we are winning. Ask any site owner.

And it is paying off. If you keep the pressure on them. I have seen many sites change their cookie policy.

When ever you encounter a site that complains about cookies or ad blockers......save the LINK site to a temporary favorites folder. Do not agree to cookies or turn off ad blocker. Then leave site. During the next few weeks.....go to the site........from the source link page. This is important.

When you go to a site........the first thing the site checks......is what site you came from. If you came from a verified familiar link........THEY WANT YOU much more than if you are unknown. This is super important to the marketer. They will pay attention to you. If a marketer gets a lot of hits from a familiar link.....and then gets rejected....because of cookies.......that marketer will change the site policy. I have seen this work. It does not happen over nite. BUT it does work.

Both ad blockers and cookie blockage has had a profound effect just in the last couple of years.

And if you are using ad blockers and such.......They are useless (as far as tracking is concerned)......unless you are using a VPN. Your ISP can legally sell every click and click duration you make........to anyone.

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

I use the following settings for privacy in firefox:

privacy_settings_firefox.png
Using the settings button behind Clear history when Firefox closes:
Privacy_settings_on_closure.png

Bertus