Giant Tesla Coil on Craigslist?

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
A friend just sent me the link to amuse me. I don't know why this was built or what its planned use was.
http://akroncanton.en.craigslist.org/ele/3774925700.html

6' high, weighs about 200-250 lbs. It runs off of 125V AC at 30 amps (requires its own breaker) and is powered by 6 neon sign transformers with a combined constant current of 210 milliamp output at the primary.

I hope nobody kills themselves with it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Yup, looks like someone just wanted to have some fun and build a tesla coil. I have one about as tall but only 4" in diameter sitting in my basement, as well as a variety of smaller ones I built. I'm still working on the 4" one.

It's just fun to make lightning in your basement or garage :D

Matt

Dr.killjoy

Joined Apr 28, 2013
Yes it's possible. It's more likely to have 30 amps at 230 V.
Lol I reason I asked because I am a 6th generation welder and one of my machines runs at 120v at 20 amps which requires a big cord by itself whic I don't see anywhere in those pics...I noticed that all 120v machines run at 20 amps and was just figured that If I could more output with 30 amps 120v AC??

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
one of my machines runs at 120v at 20 amps which requires a big cord by itself whic I don't see anywhere in those pics...I noticed that all 120v machines run at 20 amps and was just figured that If I could more output with 30 amps 120v AC??
Seriously? My little buzz box is 230V/50A.

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
Most houses have 230 V available since that is what is fed into the breaker box. Most circuit breakers connects one live wire to ground and gives 115 V. If you connect the circuit breaker to both live wires (requires a wide circuit breaker), you get 230 V. The current is limited by the amount the circuit breaker can handle before tripping.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Its a Tesla coil ,they where designed for wireless communication origonally, now just for amusement probably
I know what it is and I knew what they were used for. The unknown is, why would someone want to make one today that requires 3.6kW of input power.

I am really intersted to see if we eventually see a post something like this on AAC in the next few weeks...

NOOB NEEDING HELP WITH TESLA COIL
"I just bought a second-hand, home-made Tesla coil that requires 3600 watts of power. All the lights in my appartment dim and the power cords start smoking when I energize the unit so I know it works. My problem is...
[FILL IN REST OF STORY HERE] "

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I know what it is and I knew what they were used for. The unknown is, why would someone want to make one today that requires 3.6kW of input power.

I am really intersted to see if we eventually see a post something like this on AAC in the next few weeks...

NOOB NEEDING HELP WITH TESLA COIL
"I just bought a second-hand, home-made Tesla coil that requires 3600 watts of power. All the lights in my appartment dim and the power cords start smoking when I energize the unit so I know it works. My problem is...
[FILL IN REST OF STORY HERE] "
...it was working but now i have a side effect !