Giant LED Marquee. Help!

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dauellama, Apr 23, 2009.

1. dauellama

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 23, 2009
    This projcet is probably a bit too big for me, but I was recently asked to brainstorm a Marquee, programable from a laptop, that would be mounted to the side of a bus, running the height, and length of the bus on both sides. I know a little about electronics, and lights, but led is fairly new to me, however considering weight, power consumption, and the outdoor enviornment it seems like the best choice. Any suggestions? Even if you know of a fairly inexpensive way to purchase a premade array, software, or hardware that would be extremely useful as well. Thanks!

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    So have you read this?

LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers

It won't help you with the end product, but it will talk about LEDs. Programming skills are going to be a must for this project.

You can buy premade marquee from lots of place, use it as a key word in Google.

3. nucleargungus

Apr 6, 2009
    A microcontroller called arduino has this capability. You could bank 20 or so leds to each pixel on this display to expand the size of this one or you could contract me to figure out how to build you a bigger one :)

Robert

4. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    A few years ago, kids wore big belt buckles with a scrolling text of their name or of swear words. The LED display used about 50 blue LEDs. The thing was made in China and cost $50.00.

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You can get them from most HAM (amature radio) conventions for $20 nowdays. Something like a microcontroller would love this project though, most of the effort is in the programming, and most of the cost is in the LEDs.