getting started for design with ISP

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by ssbhardw, May 28, 2012.

1. ssbhardw

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    I am currently looking for more information on how to design an embedded system with In System Programming. Given that the micro can be flashed what procedures should one take to ensure secure and successful design for the micro to be flashed. The pcb is to be designed to integrate this functionality, for the Stellaris cortex M3 controller

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Since you are tackling an ARM processor, what other microprocessor have you had design and programming experience with?

hgmjr

3. ssbhardw

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    I have experience with ATMEGA644 as well as a PIC 16f84a in which i was designing and writing software for. I have also worked with a multitude of projects using development boards such as coldfire, FPGA and arduino. I am also about to get my hands on the definitive guide to cortex M3 by Joseph Yiu to further my understanding of the ARM architecture. I have not designed a system with ISP and am trying to get some guidance into what I should be thinking about and reading to accomplish it so.

4. kingArgon

Mar 20, 2011
    so basically you will need to break out Cortex M3 to a jtag port and take it from there. With jtag, you can debug and program in the circuit without disconnecting anything. I heard you can also program through the USB slave port if u use a bootloader.

i hope this helps some.