Getting an electric motor to work (4 wires)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mutad0r, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Mutad0r

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 6, 2010
    I have this electric motor that seems perfect for my cause, the only problem is that I can not get it to work. It has 2 seperate 'bundles' of wires going into it, both with a blue and a white one (so 2 blue and 2 white ones all together). No matter how I connect them, the only result I'm getting is twiching, so I'm guessing there's something I'm missing. Any ideas?
  2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Is this a stepper motor?

Do you have any specs on this motor?
  3. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    sounds like you have a 4 wire Bi-polar stepper motor, which will not run if just connected to power, you will need some kind of stepper motor controller to run the motor and control direction of travel...

B. Morse
  4. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    Does the motor have a manufacturer and part number on it?

I agree with B. Morse - it almost has to be a bipolar stepper motor.

Drive requirements for bipolar stepper motors are rather complex; you need two complete H-bridges with logic for controlling the bridges.

There are ICs available that have much of the functionality all in one case; but you will still need to give the IC direction and step commands.
  5. R!f@@

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    I think it will be more helpful if OP would show it to us, than say blue and white.
    who knows what most company uses for color coding. I have never seen two alike.
    No one respects the standardization of these kinda things.