Gerbv rendering question

buzaiandras

Joined Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

I have a question about viewing gerber files with Gerbv.
I opened some gerber files using Gerbv 2.6 under Windows XP and they look like the one in the attached image. They have some horizontal black lines (which are not present in the original design).
My question is: does anybody else encountered this issue with Gerbv? Is this a Gerbv rendering issue or it will affect the fabrication of the board?

Note: sometimes when I zoom in or out the black lines disappear.

Thank you,

Buzai

Attachments

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I use Gerberlogix to check my gerbers. I think it is just a rendering issue, but you should still try a different viewer just to check. Anyway it seems to be just an artifact on the polygons, so different width/spacing should get it sorted.

Anyway I would not be worried about them appearing on the actual board, it looks way too thin to pass the photoprocess.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
I hate rendering artifacts like this too, as the board is also a rendered object. So I keep several viewers on hand, and if the artifact isn't on screen for all of them I assume it isn't going to be on my final board.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Those look like patterning in the copper pour to me.

As evidence they seem to stop before they could make a connection to the isolation routing.

That type of patterning is an intentional design practice meant to minimize eddy currents - much the same as transformers use laminated cores.

buzaiandras

Joined Jul 18, 2011
Hi,

Thank you all.
I just noticed that if I view the gerber files with Gerbv under Linux (Ubuntu 11) the black lines are not shown at all. No matter if I zoom in or out.
I will try some other gerber viewers just to make sure there is no problem with my board.
@Potato Pudding: the board was designed by me and I did not create the patterning on purpose :).

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I don't know what design software you used or the settings in that software and design.

I thought it might be unintended on your part, with the patterning added by your software.

buzaiandras

Joined Jul 18, 2011
I just checked the gerber files with two other viewers (GerberLogix 2.7 and GC-Prevue 20.2.6) and they seem to be fine.
It seems that the rendering artifacts only occur with Gerbv on Windows.

Thank you all :)