genius ?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    How do you classify somebody to be genius or not ?
    Is it by IQ tests or more.... (because if it is IQ tests one can train for this to some extent just like anything else )

More generally I believe any type of test should be improveable by any human to there full potiential regardless of what level it is.
    That to me is more impressive ( i.e the ability to obtain your true top potiential or at least in the 95% of it noone can have 100% there is always room for improvement in anybody )

But take for example an average joe reaching 95% of his true potiental that to me is better then a mensa person scoring 94% of his true potiental :)

Not to put mensa people down since they have great abilities and talents (and are amazing but people should strive in general to recongize the top but recongize there top )

(and realize there top is no better or worse then the other top's just frame of references are different )

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  2. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    140+ on a IQ test is considered Genius. (If you don't study) An Olsat test is better which judges you with your peers in a percent.

3. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    reading this post made me dumber.

shortbus likes this.
  4. amilton542

Nov 13, 2010
    Bread and butter  \Rightarrow A genius.

The toaster  \Rightarrow A genius.

Genius + Genius = toast

tshuck likes this.
  5. nsaspook

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 27, 2009
  6. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Damn I only scored 96.6% I feel stupid cause that damn test ruined my life.

7. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    I have friends who scored above 140 and I have as well asthe taking of IQ tests used to be Mandatory in High School.

The thing is...IQ Tests are Fundementally Flawed. There is a wide range of Intelligence such as...Analytical, Creative, Social, Perfunctory, Moral...etc..

Thus a person with a very high IQ can be lacking in a wide variety of areas simply because those who developed such tests also lacked in intelligence in certain areas that they did not either feel or understand were important to determine intelligence.

I have many things I am very capable at as well as a few very simple things I am terrible at...for instance...I cannot spell for the life of me. Nor can I remember where I left my keys or sunglasses and this is frustrating as Hell!

Still...I scored 174 in High School. I can remember with perfect clarity events that happened when I was only 14 months old...but cannot remember...even though I use the word all the time...if VIEW is spelled with the I or E FIRST! LOL!

Also...I know a person who was in a class where I was a Professor's Assistant. He was very smart as far as Math and could spout out equasions like there was no tommorow...still...he could not do even the simplest of things as they pertained to spacial references or orientation. He was so bad at this that even something as properly balancing a few books on top of one another was an issue for him...and I would REFUSE to be in a car if he was driving as he would drift all over the road.

The same lack of intelligence in areas of Social Skills for a few I knew who might be brilliant but could not understand how to even speak to people never mind get a date!

So as far as IQ and IQ Tests are concerned...what good is it if you scored 200 if you can't get a date?

Split Infinity

8. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    IQ tests actual knowledge 142
    OLSAT tests actual ability 99.6%

9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Damn you have the 10th highest IQ in the world. Your in between Einstein and Isaac Newton. Highest ever scored was a 198 by a savant in 2012.

10. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Believe me...I don't place much faith in my test score. The test was a JOKE! I remember reading a few questions that were specific to association and saying to myself...now this seems to associate to THAT....but I KNOW the people who wrote this test are looking for the other answer.

IQ Tests only are as good as the people who wrote them and in my opinion...they are vastly flawed and just because I or anyone else scored high...means very little in the real world.

Split Infinity

11. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    IQ tests were designed to measure the ability of somebody to learn.

Lately, they've evolved more to test what you learned in school/reading.

They are two different metrics, with the same name, one old school, one new.

12. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    OK...three men are driving down a old route and because it was very late as well as raining hard they pulled into a Motel to get rooms. The guy at the dest tells them that he is sorry but there is only one room left.

The tree men decide to take it given this is the first Motel they have seen in three hours driving and they are told the room is $30. They pay the clerk $10 each and go to the room.

The clerk is a very honest man and relises he overcharged the three men. He tells the bell boy..."I overcharged those three guy's $5 so here is 5 one dollar bills...give it back to them.

The Bell Boy is not so honest and starts rationalizing...How am I going to split $5 evenly between 3 guy's? I know...I will give each guy back a Dollar and keep the rest." So...he does this.

So...if each guy paid $10 each and they got back $1...they paid $9 each.
    $9 times 3 guy's is $27....and the Bell Boy kept...$2...$27 plus $2 is $29

Where is the 30th Dollar? LOL!

Split Infinity

13. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    The problem is the question types out the math for the reader, including an error.

14. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    I don't know what they have now but when I was in High School they had these Aptitude Tests which I scored rediculously high on...top .5%.

Back then we had Military Recruiters in our Guidance Dept. and I kept getting called down there so various Military Services as well as various Military Intel....Oxymoron! LOL!...people could talk to me.

I remember one conversation with a recruiter as he said to me...Just think...all you have to do is serve for 6 YEARS and you can get $10,000 for College!

I started laughing...and laughing...and laughing. I thought the guy's head was going to explode as he turned Beet Red!

Split Infinity

15. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Very Good!

You get a Cookie! LOL!

Split Infinity

16. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Damn tree people at it again...

Flawed logic.

Instead of adding the 2$ trying to get back to the original 30$, you subtract the 2$ to get back to 25$ that they actually paid.

17. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Alright!

You get a Cookie Also! LOL!

You would be surprised as how many people will spend all day trying to figure this out.

Split Infinity

18. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    That's not even close to a smart question, the difference is between the $25 actually received at the teller and the $27 actually paid by the clients. So the difference is $2 and there is no $30 factor in the process.

You are going to exclude training in a measurement of ability? :eek: What's next, Olympic weightlifters are the guys who can naturally lift 500 pounds who have never trained in their life? ;)

19. SplitInfinity

Mar 3, 2013
    Here we have the first example of a seemingly Intelligent Member lacking in a Social Intelligence ability.

IT WAS A JOKE! I posted it to see if someone would respond to it in the very way you have just done...that being...A strong rebuke of the questions Logic even though many people of possible much lower Analytical Intelligence Skills would have immediately realized by my LOL! at the end of this posted riddle...that IT WAS A JOKE!

Sorry about that.
    Split Infinity

20. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I know the answer because I've heard the question before, and I did spend a whole day trying to figure it out. BTW I've taken 3 IQ tests before and got over 150 on 2 of them. The other was 130. So I don't have a lot of faith in the tests. I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box; definately no genius.