Generator Auto Start and Auto Stop

shaz385

Joined Nov 16, 2008
Hi, guys I am new to this Forum but not with Electronics no experience in designing.
I had this Project in my mind from a long time so i thought this is the time to start and this might be the best place to get some experience.

I am trying to build a circuit for Gen-set auto start and auto stop for Diesel Engine Generator.

I found 1 circuit on net but no information about it could you guys please take a look and help me understand
Like, what is T1 Transistor? could some one please explain it to me if it will work or not.

Thank you in Advance

Attachments

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
We've been busy.

There seems to be a lot of people with questions, and not many people with answers.

The trouble with your post is that you give no real requirements up front (other than auto-start, auto-stop of some genset), and expect us to perform an analysis of some circuit you found on the Internet without knowing anything more than that.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
If you didn't have this circuit, what would you want? When to start? stop?
Specs on the gen-set.

That kinda thing. The circuit posted may work, but it may no do what YOU want it to.

And its very hard to read. It would be easier if you said what you wanted and we could go from there.

umar fida

Joined Apr 8, 2010
I require the same thing witch shaz385 wants. but i may explain it in detail.
i have 2.2 kv generator (output 210~240 v AC) with self start option. All i want is to make it a standby power source (witch require a electric circuit to do things). now this circuit will have couple of functions. when main power supply fails (220 v AC) it will start generator (2 to 3 tries) and when the generator stabilizes (approximately 10 sec) shift the load to generator and when the main supply restores it shut off the generator and put back the load to main supply.
i am not an electronics professional but i think circuit diagram posted above is not a good one as it uses relays which will produce sparks and eventually dies.

i hope every one understand what shaz385 and i wants.

Regards,

Umar
http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/member.php?u=33505

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Your description is of an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). The ATS monitors the incoming power and when it is out of a monitored specification (voltage, cycles), it will start the engine (generator) and automatically switch the load to the generator when the generator is up to speed. After the normal power has returned for x minutes, it will switch the load back to the commercial source. Then there is a cool down period of x minutes for the generator.

As far as using relays ... they are still used in ATS. The load switch is more of a knife type switch on a rotated shaft.

What you use to switch from commercial power to generator power depends on your load (the house).

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The schematic is from a website in India so of course it uses the very old SL100 metal can transistor that is available only in India.
Most projects on that website do not work.

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
i have 2.2 kv generator (output 210~240 v AC) with self start option. All i want is to make it a standby power source (witch require a electric circuit to do things). now this circuit will have couple of functions. when main power supply fails (220 v AC) it will start generator (2 to 3 tries) and when the generator stabilizes (approximately 10 sec) shift the load to generator and when the main supply restores it shut off the generator and put back the load to main supply.
I think you mean 2.2KW (kilowatts) instead of 2.2KV (kilovolts).

JoeJester is right on about the automatic transfer switch.

Your main problem about switching the load is that your 2.2KW generator only puts out a max of 10 amps at 220 volts. Barely enough to power 1 circuit let alone an entire house.

In addition, depending on the generator and how it is regulated, small generators are much better handling resistive loads than they are at inductive loads. So if you are trying to run a refrigerator and/or well pump with some other stuff, it is probably going to give you trouble.

In any event, you will have to be very selective on what you are trying to power at any one time, so a transfer switch seems out of the question.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
After the normal power has returned for x minutes, it will switch the load back to the commercial source.
Expensive ATS does this transfer step without power interruption. That's why it is so expensive in the first place.

An ATS is definitely not a project for hobbyist.

kd7ura

Joined Apr 12, 2010
ive got a gen with the auto start built in , im looking at a low voltage detector and voltage monitor circuit with leds, trying to figure out how too put them together with a relay to trigger the auto start on the gen.
i need the relay to close to get gen to auto start when the battery bank reaches low voltage point of 11.89 VDC stay closed untill battery bank reaches full charge of 13.8 vdc then open relay to shut down gen.
i have two wires coming from the gen by putting them together it starts,runs and shuts down when you seperate them. i believe they draw 12volts from the generator battery to trigger the auto start feature.
the gen will run 220 v to two xantrex inverters , one on each leg and they will invert and charge the batteries,
ive looked at the mc34161 detector chip for voltage checking and LM3914 for the led display monitor i need a recomandation for a relay to trigger the gen and how i would put them together.

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
it is not possible my boy without an ATS system...which is much expensive...and if u're thinking of making an Automatic Transfer Switch yourself tht would cost u more than the readymade...

zia79

Joined Apr 26, 2009
try this circuit not perfect but good, im working on this as i complete i'll post schematic .low voltage sensing circuit is missing in this circuit, and ats system is a little bit tensing, but starting circuit is cool.

Attachments

Last edited:

zia79

Joined Apr 26, 2009
Expensive ATS does this transfer step without power interruption. That's why it is so expensive in the first place.

An ATS is definitely not a project for hobbyist.
i am sorry to say u are wrong, a 60 amp ATS system home built costs no more than 12$ WITH TIME DELAY SYSTEM.

How I knowing adjustibilty speed of governors on 150mW steam turbine? can you help me about This varies with different classes of insulating materials, Speed regulator speed drop and Speed regulator gain on steam turbine?