general

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Geney, May 27, 2012.

  1. Geney

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 2, 2012
    18
    0
    Why does the person who touches a live wire get a shock even when after the wire is insulated?
     
  2. strantor

    AAC Fanatic!

    Oct 3, 2010
    4,302
    1,988
    they shouldn't if the wire is insulated. Perhaps you have wire with faulty insulation?
     
  3. shortbus

    AAC Fanatic!

    Sep 30, 2009
    4,000
    1,512
    Are you sure you haven't touched the "LooseWire"?


    After you have been here a while you will get the joke.:confused:;)
     
  4. paulktreg

    Distinguished Member

    Jun 2, 2008
    609
    120
    Do you mean isolated and not insulated?
     
  5. Geney

    Thread Starter New Member

    Apr 2, 2012
    18
    0
    yeah i actually heard thet one person died of catching a live wire.. i mean insulated wire.
     
  6. crutschow

    Expert

    Mar 14, 2008
    12,974
    3,220
    By definition, if it's insulated he couldn't have received a shock. So there must have been a break in the insulation or the insulation was not sufficient to block the voltage that allowed the current which electrocuted him
     
  7. WBahn

    Moderator

    Mar 31, 2012
    17,715
    4,788
    What if the wire was intended for a low frequency but got shorted to a high-frequency, high-voltage supply? It might be possible for the conductor-insulator-hand to form a capacitor permitting enough AC current to flow to be fatal.
     
Loading...