General Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by TKir, May 14, 2014.

1. TKir

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2014
    Does anyone know how to test if water is electrified or not? I repaired a pool vacuum today that had as one of its many issues a frayed power cord. I repaired the cord using a water tight shrink tube material that I purchased from my local plumbing supply store today. The guys in their said it is the same stuff they use to repair sump pump power cords that they use in there water feature projects?

2. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Plug it into a gfi outlet. IMO

Leakage will trip breaker.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Electrified pool? This can get dangerous!
    I would find a serious ground, a planetary ground, a network of buried water pipes that are steel or copper. Use that for a ground for my meter and test the water with a wire on a long, wooden or fiberglass stick.

Of course, you haven't told us whether you live in the swamps of Alabama or the deserts of New Mexico, so we can't guess about how well your local soil conducts electricity.

4. TKir

Thread Starter New Member

May 14, 2014
    Thank you both!

inwo I will try that and let you know how it goes...

# 12 I Live in the Willamette Vally of Oregon, so we generally have damp soil, mud & sand mix. I am not sure how to find a network of buried pipes? what type of meter, I might be able to swing the long wooden or fiberglass stick with a wire connected to a meter if you can tell me what type to use. Thanks

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Water pipes make a real ground if they are made of metal. I'm just afraid you will mistake the pool pipes as being ground when they are really the suspects. The meter would be a volt meter set on AC voltage. Harbor Freight has one for under $10 that can do this job.

6. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    A relatively waterproof [ based on injection technique ] is to cut a long enough piece of shrink tube, to extend 1" beyond your splice on each end, and then inject that shrinktube with hot-melt glue.. That both shrinks the tube, and forces excess hotmelt out the ends to assure a seal.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Another approved way is to use RTV sealant in the heat shrink and let it set.
    Max.

8. grages

May 6, 2014
    I find it hard to believe that something designed to be used in a pool is of sufficient voltage or current to provide issues, I also suspect it could be DC. That said what brand/model device is it? That way you can look up the spec's and be sure, all else is just guessing.

9. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    They make a heat shrink with the hot melt already in it. It is used for wiring the drop wires to a submersible/deep well, water pump. The pumps have a short wire lead on them, you crimp it to the drop wire and seal with heat shrink. Soldering the wires together is not advised, due to the vibration of the pump. Or at least that's how it's done around this area of the country.

PackratKing likes this.
  10. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I agree with posts #9, #8, #7, #6 and #5. Posts #6, #7 and #8 contain ideas I never thought of.

11. bwilliams60

Nov 18, 2012
    Wiring cords are not that expensive. Would it not be safer to just replace the entire cord so that there are no "questionable" spots in the cord. Better safe than sorry for a few bucks. As for shrink tube, there is shrink tube with sealer available in the automotive stores. Ask for dual wall heat shrink with sealer. I would double shrink it as it leaves no question when done properly. Slide the first piece over and shrink it and then slide a second longer piece over and shrink it to the first piece. Very good seal. Good luck