General Protection circuits

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by phuzionz, Dec 5, 2008.

1. phuzionz

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 5, 2008
    Dear Forummembers,

I discover this board and was wondered about the technical knowledge included in all the threads. Therefore i plan to write my question here.

I have a few questions where i want some feedback on, to push me in the right direction to find a good solution.

We have a battery supply that supplies every piece in our box. This box have inputs and outputs. The inputswill used for read a sensor and the outputs to drive a motor. This is in short description.

Now my question is, what for diagnostics and protection circuits i have to forseen to work very save in my battery supply part. I give an example:
    • Overcurrent protection
    • Overvoltage protection
    • Undervoltage diagnostics
    • Over temperature diagnostics
    • Reverse polarity protection
    If you know other protection or diagnostics issue, please write it down.

I'am also looking for relevant protection and diagnostics issue for following cases:

Analog input, to read a PTC
    Digital input, to read speed sensor
    Digital output, to drive motor with PWM

If someone know what i reallly have to forseen on these in-and outputs, please let me know.
    It would be also very helpfull to give me some technical solutions to solve the reqiurements. I know this is general question, but i don't exêct to give me a detailed solution, onlu to put me in the right direction.

Thank you,
    Jef

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  3. phuzionz

Dec 5, 2008
    Thank you for the information, the two articels were very helpfull.

Now i'am also looking for possible protection and diagnostics for a digital input and anlog input, analog output and digital output.
    Any information is welcome.

Greetings,
    Jef

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  5. phuzionz

Dec 5, 2008
    No not really. So when you have lot of inputs and outputs you have to think about a few things. One thing is that it is working in a save way.

For example: When i have a digital input on my µC.
    I have to consider that a few problems arise, spikes on the input (integrate filter), short to ground (protection circuit) etc.....

Now i want to have a summary what can happen if you have an analog in-and output, digital in-and output.
    What for actions do i have to take to minimize the problems.

Greetings,
    Jef

6. phuzionz

Dec 5, 2008
    Is there nobody with an idea on that issue.

It is difficult to find that on the internet because it's a very general question.

For the digital input i also add a noise filter. all other ideas are very welcome.

Thank you,
    Jef