General IR Question

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nimrodm, Jun 17, 2012.

1. nimrodm

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 17, 2012
    Im pretty new to electronics and im just interested in a pretty basic daily use of Infrared.

I know that we transmit IR signals from our remote control to a TV or a tuner box and that they receive it and use the signals with binary code and decodes it so the device knows how to react.

But can a TV or a tuner box transmit IR Signals as well? Or is it only 1 way?
    for example can a certain device receive a signal from the tv that is sending it's current channel or volume?

2. hexreader

Apr 16, 2011
    Some (very few) TVs have an IR transmitter, as well as a receiver, so that the TV can send a response back to the remote, or to other devices.

The majority of TVs only have an IR receiver, so cannot transmit under any circumstance.

I know of no tuner box that transmits, but I bet there are some out there that are capable.
  3. BMorse

Sep 26, 2009
    In my experience working with televisions, I have NEVER seen a TV with an IR Transmitter, and the only remotes I have seen that have IR receivers are the ones you can "train" with another remote, such as the ones they used to use to control VCR's for recording, etc.