GE timer switch installation help

high_voltage

Joined Jan 30, 2010
Hello everyone.
I have a GE timer model #15070. I am having problems hooking it up to my existing house wiring.
I removed an existing timer that had only 2 wires coming off it, and the new timer has 3 wires. The wires on the new switch are red (load), black(hot), and white (neutral).
The wiring in the house are all colored black. There are 2 black wires twisted together, and then there is another black wire.
I can hook up the black and red timer switch wires to the house wiring, and the on/off part of the switch works, but the timer does not. If I reverse the wires the same thing still happens. A friend told me to twist the black and red together and attach them to the twisted black wires, and attach the neutral to the single black wire. Nothing works when I do that. I reversed those as well, but still nothing happens.
Is it possible to hook this timer switch to my existing house wiring and actually have the timer also work?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give. It is very much appreciated!

Attachments

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
The timer itself requires the black and white wire to be hooked up to it to power the clock (and switch the power to the load). The black wire of the timer goes to the black wire of your house wiring that has the power coming in to it (the hot wire). The white gets hooked up to the white (neutral) wires in your box.

Then just hook up the red wire of the timer to the black wire in the box that goes to what you are trying to turn on (load), and you should be good to go!

high_voltage

Joined Jan 30, 2010
Thanks for your quick reply, but I do not know what wires are hot, neutral, etc.
When I removed the old timer, it was attached to a total of 3 black wires, 2 of which were twisted together.
I have a digital voltmeter( it's a good Fluke) used on cars. Can I use this to check house wiring with it?
Thanks!

whatsthatsmell

Joined Oct 9, 2009
Thanks for your quick reply, but I do not know what wires are hot, neutral, etc.
When I removed the old timer, it was attached to a total of 3 black wires, 2 of which were twisted together.
I have a digital voltmeter( it's a good Fluke) used on cars. Can I use this to check house wiring with it?
Thanks!
At this point I suggest you take a step back because working on mains voltage without any inkling of what is going on can be very dangerous. :eek:

I think you should pick up a book on basic home wiring from the library or closest home center. This will give you the basics on wiring and show you how to use your meter to check the circuits.

Once you see the pictures and diagrams, I think you will have an "ah-ha" moment. :D

Good luck!