gcc error

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Tekker, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Tekker

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Hi all,

I'm trying to learn C with an ebook I got a while back (Sam's teach yourself C) and I'm using JGrasp to code and compile.

When I try to compile I get the error: "jGRASP wedge2 error: command "gcc" not found."

Which I expected since there is an include statement in the code. So I tried to find out about this gcc, which I assumed was a library, but it seems to be a compiler and I can't find any information that is n00b friendly on how to install it. I downloaded something that had over 30 files with extensions I've never heard of. None of them are executable or compressed files, so I can't seem to do anything with them. Also, putting them in the active directory with my source code and compiling did nothing.

I'm running Windows XP SP2.

Any help in getting this sorted out would be greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks,
    -tkr

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    GCC is the GNU Compiler Collection and IMHO it never has been,nor never will be noob friendly. Help is not to be found in a forum post I'm sad to say. Your best bet is to find a friend in a nearby linux users group that can help.

3. Tekker

Apr 22, 2005
    I asked my programming teacher today and he said he'd look into it and talk to me tomorrow. I'm currently in a Java class and will be taking C in the near future, but I wanted to get a head start on it. :)

Is it necessary to use gcc or would something else (that is more user friendly) also work?

-tkr

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Since I'm not familiar with the environment you are operating in I really can't say.

5. Tekker

Apr 22, 2005
    Ok thanks. I'll see what my teacher says tomorrow. He said he has done C in JGrasp before, so hopefully he can help get this squared away.

-tkr

6. Tekker

Apr 22, 2005
    Yea! Got it working!

My teacher told me to download Cygwin and choose the gcc compiler for C from the ("long") list of features. Then in JGrasp select the Cygwin gcc for the C compiler and that did it!

That was so much simpler than anything I could find on the subject. lol :D

-tkr

7. jeffblev

Jan 1, 2008
    Just a suggestion.. If you're majoring in Computer Science, it may in your best interest to install Linux on your machine. Dual boot or maybe even find an cheap old machine just to become more familiar with that dev. environment. You'll find Linux to be a popular and quickly growing dev. environment in industry.

8. Tekker

Apr 22, 2005
    Hi Jeff,

Yes, I'm majoring in computer science. My area of interest is Windows, what kind of benefits come from learning Linux? I have never used Linux, so I don't know a whole lot about it other than everything is free and open source.

-tkr