gauze pads country of origin?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tracecom, Feb 25, 2012.

1. tracecom

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    So, I have this surgical wound on my hand about 2 cm by 2 cm. The surgeon said to keep it covered with petroleum jelly, and when I am outdoors, to cover that with a bandage.

I bought some gauze pads about 5 cm by 5 cm, and use tape to hold one in place. It works okay.

Then, I went to store to buy some more gauze pads. All that store had were made in China, so I went back to the first store to get more just like the first ones I bought. Guess what...yep, they were made in China too. I went to four different stores and didn't find a single gauze bandage that wasn't made in China.

Having been in lots of Chinese factories (some with the drainage from the latrines flowing down an open concrete ditch through the middle of the electronics assembly area), I'm not too thrilled about using "sterile" bandages from China, but apparently, there's no choice in the US.

Just out of curiosity, do any of you who live in countries other than the US that have locally made products of this nature?
  2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    Don't have an answer for you question, but- I wonder if the part of your quote saved is where they came up with the saying, "I'm tired of buying all this Chinese s^!t !" :):D:p:eek:
  3. justtrying

Mar 9, 2011
    well, in Canada a fighting chance is going into an organic store or a dedicated vitamin shop/holistic medicine. Will still have a lot of made in China things but some local products can be found there.
  4. luvv

May 26, 2011
    Maybe off topic a little and double gross..but..

Just this morning as i was sitting in my restroom looking for some reading material....

I noticed the made in label on my gf's feminine product...Israel!

So i walked out of the restroom looked at her and said"well aren't you the fancy one sitting around on Egyptian cotton"

After i explained..she didn't think it was funny either:(

5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Egypt isn't related to Israel by a long shot, but apart from that, it was a nice pun. It's a shame people don't appreciate bathroom humor.
  6. luvv

May 26, 2011
    Wait a tick..are they not neighbors?

Figured they shared cotton plants...

Anyhow Israeli cotton don't sound as fancy now does it :D
  7. hwy101

May 23, 2009
    Here in Canada the leader in those kind of products is Johnson & Johnson they have manufacturing facilities in Ontario and Quebec.
    I just had a look at my box of bandages from Johnson & Johnson and it says in fine print "Made In Brazil" go figure...:confused:
  8. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Well, they are neighbors, but they are on hostile terms, with different religions and situated in different continents. More differences than resemblances.