gate controller limit switch help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by michael kennedy, Apr 16, 2015.

1. michael kennedy

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 16, 2015
    I have an automatic gate that the original mechanical switches in the controller refuse to stay adjusted. They move on a threaded spindle but tend to skip on the threads. I replaced them with photo elect switches and control relays. My problem is that the solar charge controller for the battery keeps burning out. Do I need some load resistors in here some where and if so how big? I'm making the assumption that having 12vdc going to ground through nothing more loading than a light and relay coil is not enough.

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    It cannot be wired the way you show in the diagram and even work. The non-switched end of the relay coils are returned to the wrong side of the 12Vdc. I suspect that your wiring is wrong, and that it doesn't match your sketch...

Label +12V and 0V on the panel, solar controller, to verify you have the polarities correct.

What do you mean by "burning out"? Does the battery go dead?

12V Sealed Lead Acid Battery? How many Ah?

Part number or link to the solar controller?

Part number or link to the photo sensor?

Part number or link to the relay?

3. michael kennedy

Apr 16, 2015
    Yeah -- the sketch is really sketchy....the line coming out of the photo switch is +12vdc....in the sketch -the top line is +12 side of the battery (all the way from solar panel) and the bottom is the neg side....my bad....the relay is from radio shack.....don't recall the photo switch ....the battery is a marine lead acid boat battery from wal mart. When it works, it works well. I just can't keep the charge controller from breaking. It will work for a couple of weeks then quit and the first thing I know the battery is dead and the gate won't move. I've had 3 different controllers in there with the same results.

4. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Any lightning around?

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    How large is the solar panel and is there a continuous load on the battery?

6. michael kennedy

Apr 16, 2015
    Solar panel came with the original charge controller - I get 17 - 22 vdc out each time I've checked it. The only constant load on the battery is the PE lights and relay. The motor only runs when the gate moves. Lightning was an issue once. I replaced the main operator control board, the remote receiver, and the charge controller. We just had another lightning storm last night so I guess we'll see this weekend when I have time to look at it. I'm guessing no one is seeing an obvious malfunction in that poorly drawn schematic? We have had a very active spring weather season....I guess it very well could be getting hit repeatedly by lightning. I'll put a lightning rod up and hope.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    MikeML got it right in post #2
    All you have done is make a parts list and speculate. No measurements. We can't guess where the goodness is leaking out with no measurements.