Gas Stove Runaway

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
A few nights ago, the Wife and I were making brownies.

After around 28 minutes, according to the timer, I went in to remove said brownies.

Before I entered the kitchen, I smelled burnt brownies.

Took them out, and checked the temp. Still showing 350*.

All of a sudden, a continuous beeper went off, loud as hell.

Readout on the stove showed "F-10".

Checked the oven with my trusty infra-red t'meter, and it showed 550*.

Within 2 more minutes, it climbed to over 666 degrees.

Had the Wife call the FD, pronto.

They show up 15 minutes later, and the oven finally shut off but the beeper kept screaming.

They pulled it out, unplugged it, and said it had experienced thermal runaway.

So that's what the F-10 warning was...........

Anyone ever had the electrical board on their kitchen stove act this way?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
Yup, bad temp sensor or bad main board. Happens a lot. My wifes mothers oven did the same thing, F10. Replaced the temp sensor, no joy. The main board was not available. New oven time. Then it started happening occasionally with our oven, which was an old Kenmore (no replacement parts). Replaced the oven and my wifes cooking improved immensely. :p The old oven did not regulate temperature well at all.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Maybe you should try, "All About Gas Burners.com". :D

The only time I saw a runaway furnace was when Paradyne Inc. scoffed at my Florida State License in Heating and Air Conditioning and hired a, "real" engineer. Three million dollars worth of finished products melted into a stinking, plastic blob because the REAL engineer didn't include any over-temperature safety lock-outs.

Not to worry. The system was designed by a REAL engineer instead of a State Certified HVAC Designer so the insurance company considered it a, "state of the art" design and paid for the losses.

I hope the company that sold you that runaway stove has proper insurance.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I hope I'm not being boring, but I don't see why any of the regulars here would allow a flammable fuel in their home. It's sneaky! It can develop a leak like a water pipe, except it kills people. :eek:
So many of us know exactly how to be safe with electricity, and I much prefer to work with things I know well.
Wishing you all good luck and good sense.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
The most concerning part of this story is that the FD didn't show up for 15 minutes... :eek:
Well that and the fact you didn't immediately just flip the breaker or pull it out and unplug it yourself..

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
some people would not think to unplug a GAS stove with a problem. since electricity is only secondary to heating the stove. the output controling the valve must have failed. gas valves are normally closed without power to open them. exception: purge valves that open the burner to the air to bleed off gas are normaly open so gas dosnt build up when the burner is off.

profbuxton

Joined Feb 21, 2014
Wow, you guys have electronically controlled gas stoves with control valves??? If my stove gets too hot I just turn the manual control down or off. Not having any of that modern stuff running away with my brownies!!

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
Am I the only one who is showing pity to the brownies. :rolleyes:
By the way how were the brownies taste ?:p

BTW, the brownies turned out a little too hard for me, but after letting them sit for a couple hours; covered in plastic wrap, they softened up a bit.
Tasted good!

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
The most concerning part of this story is that the FD didn't show up for 15 minutes... :eek:
Well that and the fact you didn't immediately just flip the breaker or pull it out and unplug it yourself..
I was more concerned about the rising temps, after we got off the phone, the temps finally started dropping.
666*, was more than I could bear. Hehe.
"Mark of the Beast", and all that other Fantasy crapola.

So, I guess the stove started to shut down right after we called.