gas , oil , and other fuel transport pipeline infrastructure?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    I know oil they uses mostly steel or plastic based pipes.
    Like water infrastructure they have pump stations, regulator stations and other stations along the way to keep the fuel flowing correctly and to the right places. (30miles for a pump station ....)

There system is broken down into gathering , transporting , and distributing pipe lines much like the transmission and distribution grid of electrical infrastructure analogy.

Questions
    But my question is not how you connect these pipes , not the details of each pump stations ( how you repair stuff in them) but just a high level picture of the US transportation pipeline for gas , oil , and other major fuel transporting pipelines? ( I would imagine the distribution pipelines are far to big in numbers to get a high level view like the major transportation pipelines would be ... but if possible those as well.

1) How many fuel supply companies (in US) are there for the transporting pipelines of fuel? Is it just one owned by the government or BP and others.
    2) How many fuel supply companies (in US) are there for the distribution pipeline? Similar question to one
    3) How many fuel supply companies are there in the US ? Is it 90% BP.
    4) Is there a picture of the US major transport pipelines and where they exist. Links would be great.

Note:
    fuel supply companies = any transported median other then water , sewer , and electrical

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    How many threads do you need on this subject???

Why not just do some research on your own? I am sure the information is out there.

Sounds to me like you are trying to take a university course on infrastructure planning from a electronics forum. Just sign up for a course at your university already.

shortbus likes this.
  3. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Well I can take the paid course or I can just take the Internet course with a few interested/knowledgeable people that are experienced in these areas long the way to explain.

fossil fuels make up 90% of energy currently so it is kind of important / good to know how the infrastructure is with these systems / pipelines

To bad there isn't any maps but I would imagine it wouldn't be good because it would make us more susceptible to an attack ... I would imagine most military engineers would know one of the first things is to knock out communication , then energy/power/resources

4. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    "Too bad there aren't any maps.."

During the BP fiasco, I found several maps on distribution of oil.:mad:
    I studied those maps for weeks during the coverup.
    Not a pretty site.;)

Pipelines on top of pipelines.

But, they always find room for more.

The map of the Gulf, is so thick and intertwined; you'll wonder how they could even get so many pipelines, so close together.

Truly a maze.

5. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Well I found some maps for the major transport pipelines for gas , oil

But my next question is looking at the pipes I am curious why gas pipes are joined in all kinds of weird shapes they go up around down ..etc

Where as looking at water and sewer lines /systems the pipes are not so shaped. In the since water / sewer pipes usually don't have so many bends in them for the most part. ( Yes I know there is those 90 , 45 , ..etc turns but in gas it seems like the pipes in the pipelines are more convoluted at places/stations. ) Is there any reason for that or is it just for spaces.. ( maybe I am wrong since water / liquid based fluids could be shaped in any direction as will but it seems gaseous pipes stand out from liquid based pipes in shape / design probably because of the properties of gas rising

Wonder how they planned the connecting of the pipe seems sort of arbitrary in some cases and simple in others.

And in gaseous based pipelines is there pumps as well or is the gas on its own enough pressure to move down the pipe? (maybe some impeller based / vacuum based pump / fan based pump needs to be install every 30 miles or so not sure but it seems it would reach a point where it would be needed )

Or do they compress the gas into a liquid and just deal with the liquid form at some points?

It would seem dealing with gaseous lines it would make since to build the pipe in the opposite direction as water lines basically store gas down and let it rise up the pipes for the force/pressure creation (like opposite to gravity of water principle)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2014