Garage Automation Wiring

Karl Hammerschmidt

Joined Jun 7, 2015
Hi there,

I have had an electrical motor installed in my garage with a portable remote to open and close. I bought an "Garage Guardian Automatic Garage Door Closer and Timer" (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KED4T8W?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage).

The problem I have is the "Garage Guardian" it is supposed to piggy back on the same wiring the wired door controller connects to... only I don't have a wired connect. Mine is completely via the remote (wireless). I opened the garage motor but couldn't figure out where to connect the two wires for the "Garage Guardian" (I'm a bit of a novice with electrical wiring). I've attached photos of garage motor. Please help! I'm happy to supply further info if needed.

Cheers,
Karl

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Do you have the information on the Guardian unit? if so post it may help.
I would expect it to tie in to the man up/dn inputs?
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
As a guess, GND and PUSH seem to be the terminals that are shorted together by the push-button you are supposed to install on the wall, for use when you don't have the transmitter in your hand. Your timer seems to be designed to short those 2 terminals after a delay.

This is 100% guessing. The real answer is, "Read the Instructions". Do you think we can answer you without reading the instructions? Apparently. Bad method!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I agree with #12. The PUSH and GND terminals are probably for a momentary switch to actuate the door. Read your manual.

BTW, when you install the automatic door closer, make sure you're prepared for a lock out. I designed one of these for my garage door about 25 years ago. I told my Wife it was timed to close in 10 minutes, but she went out through the garage door to do something, forgot about the time, and the door closed. She didn't have a key and went to the neighbor to call me at work; this was before *everyone* had a cell phone.

Karl Hammerschmidt

Joined Jun 7, 2015
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. MaxHeadRoom please find the Garage Guardian instructions attached (only 2 A4 pages) as well as a picture of the unit. I also realized I attached my pictures of the garage upside down... apologies! (re-attached)

#12 and dl324 I unfortunately don't have the manual for the garage. It was installed before I got here and I can't find the manual anywhere. To confirm what you are saying: I must attach the "Garage Gaurdian" to the terminals PUSH and GND?

dl324 - thanks for the advice... I watch out for getting locked out!

Cheers,
Karl

Attachments

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
As I suspected, the output goes across the PB input on the unit, you should be able to locate the input pair wired to the PB.
Max.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Can't be certain PUSH is for a momentary switch, but it would make sense... You could try connecting PUSH to GND briefly if you're feeling lucky. Maybe there's some labeling on the opener housing. Try going to the manufacturer website to get a manual, or googling the make and model of your garage door opener.