Gain of a Circuit !

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by extremeads1, May 15, 2007.

1. extremeads1

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 10, 2007
    i'm wondering ,why does a gain of multistage circuit (multistage amplifier,Three Op-Amp IA,Band-Pass Filter using one or more gain stages)the outputs obtained under certain conditions get added while the GAIN gets MULTIPLIED ,why is it so ? pls help me out .
    - Alok.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Could it be because a circuit can do more than one thing at a time?

3. extremeads1

Feb 10, 2007
    Sir You may be correct but i don't find it a convincing reply ! do you ?

4. cumesoftware

Apr 27, 2007
    Normaly the gain of a circuit is the product of the gains of its amplifier stages. But if you define the gain in dB, then you have the sum of all gains in bB. Is that it?

5. extremeads1

Feb 10, 2007
    you are right but in that sense for finding the total Avt we perform the following ;
    Avt=Av1*Av2*.....*Avn
    Ultimately aren't we mulitplying it !

6. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    by output do you mean o/p of individual ckts are added?

7. extremeads1

Feb 10, 2007
    no output of individual circuits are not added i mean that the o/p is collective addtion at the last stage
    For ex : In Case of a 3Op-amp IA before the difference amplifier stage i.e input to difference amplifier is V02-Vo1

8. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    my experience with electronic circuits is limited ,wud it be possible for you to post a rough schematic of above mentioned config ,i wud like to analyse it if i can.

9. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    OK - would you be more convinced if I said that linear circuits of which amplifiers are an example can add two signals together AND multiply both signals by a constant. In a multistage amplfier the gain of the stage is applied to the sum of the inputs in the case where there is more than one.

I must confess, given your original question, I'm at a loss to figure out what would convince you.