FWIW -- Effects of hidden posts upon post numbering...

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
In summary; It seems hidden posts do not result in renumbering -- A goood thing!:)

-- Original post --
Hey @Aleph(0)

I took the liberty of briefly 'ignoring you' (i.e. hiding your posts to my sessions) for the purpose of determining said features' effect upon post numbering --- thus it is that I have learned post numbers are not effected - an important consideration when referencing posts by number where 'ignorers' and 'ignorees' may be participating...

Inasmuch as a web search/study of Xenforo features suggests that 'ignorees' are, at certain junctures, alerted to their 'ignorers' action -- I thought it advisable to let you know:

You are *not* on my ignore list and *never* will be!!! --- FWIW I regard the feature as rather 'silly' and, hence, do not use it at all...

To all others: I posted this here inasmuch as I felt definite information as regards the effects of the ignore feature on post numbering might be of general interest -- I promise to 're-dub' the thread with a less-dramatic & content relevant title as soon as I 'hear' from Aleph... -- DONE!:)

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@Wendy et al.

Please except my apologies for misplacement of this thread on the 'feedback' forum! -- Seems at six months 'out' I'm still learning the 'ropes'...:oops:

Sincerely
HP:)

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
I've never used the forum automatic "ignore" feature. I've always just disregarded or quickly browsed over the postings of members who I've come to regard as usually crazy, wrong or boring. This method leaves open the possibility that if said member(s) have a rare post that is lucid, accurate and interesting, I may notice and read it, thereby showing them the small morsel of respect which they've earned. This is big of me, I know. ;)

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I've never used the forum automatic "ignore" feature. I've always just disregarded or quickly browsed over the postings of members who I've come to regard as usually crazy, wrong or boring. This method leaves open the possibility that if said member(s) have a rare post that is lucid, accurate and interesting, I may notice and read it, thereby showing them the small morsel of respect which they've earned...
100% agreed!:):):)

And, further to that, why should one wish to render their "enemies" invisible to them - yet, them self, remain wholly visible?:confused::eek::D

As an aside -- In the course of my six-months here I've yet to encounter anyone whom I would choose to disregard (by any means) -- and I say this as one not known for patience or forbearance! --- Just one of many reasons I keep 'coming back':):):)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
The "ignore" feature is useless to me, as it is still obvious that there are posts, whether hidden or not. Ignoring members may also lead to confusion, as the conversation may take a turn and I, as the ignorer, would have no idea why.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
why should one wish to render their "enemies" invisible to them - yet, them self, remain wholly visible?
There are many reasons to ignore certain people, besides imagining they are an enemy.
As for the numbering system...you might have asked me...or a moderator. Much more efficient than developing and executing a behavioral analysis on a software program.:rolleyes:

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
There are many reasons to ignore certain people, besides imagining they are an enemy.
Merely a statement of my perspective/'sentiments' as regards the feature -- not a condemnation of others'!:) -- Moreover, I'm not comfortable with 'enemy' either -- it's just so damn expedient!:D

As for the numbering system...you might have asked me...or a moderator. Much more efficient than developing and executing a behavioral analysis on a software program.
No one seemed to be certain - including Xenforo support groups?!:confused:

you might have asked me
I thought I had listed 'post reference ambiguity' as an (unchallenged) objection to the feature (in a PM discussion with you) As I review my off-list correspondence, however, I see said reference was in an email message to someone else -- Ooops!:oops:

To offer some scope:
I've been 'racking my brains' in an attempt to arrive at a workable, orderly presentation of my LOPT tutorial -- Having spent way too much time 'researching' the matter I, on (something like) an impulse, temporarily 'ignored' Aleph to observe the effect upon post numbering -- Then became concerned that she (Aleph) might have been 'alerted' to my action -- The Xenforo support sites were not reassuring (consensus being ~ 60/40 against, with several posters claiming sporadic 'atypical' alerts) -- Hence I thought I had better 'clear the air' lest misapprehension and hard feelings ensue... So, while I may indeed have taken 'the long way around' -- I am now certain of the fact that post numbers are not changed! --- That's more than Ca. six hours' 'site-hopping' and PMing accomplished!:):):)

Thanks for your response!:)

Very best regards
HP:)

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Just to fill some bored time, I say that I Ignore a lot of people. Most of it is for expediency. I scan the Forums regularly (on the days I am posting) and eliminating certain people lets me include more of the posts I can address.

There are people I simply can't seem to connect with. There are absurd questions that can't possibly be answered. There are people that seem to be playing, "Twenty Questions" with the helpers. Tonight, there were several that could only be explained by the temporal proximity of the full moon.

"How much current will be induced in a single wire passed through a transformer's magnetic field with the ends not connected to anything?" Simultaneously, "Will unusually high voltages be induced in a shielded wire placed in a transformer's magnetic field with its ends shorted together?" (Referring to a 540,000 watt cable tester.) If that guy doesn't know you can't induce current in an open circuit, what is he doing with a half a megawatt transformer??? I think it is much more effective to use my time scanning for questions that can be answered, and which are posted by people that can understand the answers. The fact that others can see my written words is irrelevant because they can't understand my sentences, and I'm probably not posting in their Thread anyway. The fact that I can't see their posts (more than once or twice) is merely efficient use of my time.

There are some people here that I feel irritable about. Again, I find it more efficient use of my time to not engage with them. I might be helpful to six or twelve sincere questioners in the time it would require to beat a dead horse or convince a person who doesn't want to be convinced. For a few, the phrase, "Asperger's Syndrome" has been mentioned. Again, not an efficient use of my time.

I am here to serve the beginners, and some not so naive. I am also here to learn. Some people have skills in specialties other than mine and we learn from each other. I choose to be expedient in those endeavors when it is practical. The Ignore button is just a tool. I can use it to improve my effectiveness and my experience at AAC.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Just to fill some bored time, I say that I Ignore a lot of people. Most of it is for expediency. I scan the Forums regularly (on the days I am posting) and eliminating certain people lets me include more of the posts I can address.

There are people I simply can't seem to connect with. There are absurd questions that can't possibly be answered. There are people that seem to be playing, "Twenty Questions" with the helpers. Tonight, there were several that could only be explained by the temporal proximity of the full moon.

"How much current will be induced in a single wire passed through a transformer's magnetic field with the ends not connected to anything?" Simultaneously, "Will unusually high voltages be induced in a shielded wire placed in a transformer's magnetic field with its ends shorted together?" (Referring to a 540,000 watt cable tester.) If that guy doesn't know you can't induce current in an open circuit, what is he doing with a half a megawatt transformer??? I think it is much more effective to use my time scanning for questions that can be answered, and which are posted by people that can understand the answers. The fact that others can see my written words is irrelevant because they can't understand my sentences, and I'm probably not posting in their Thread anyway. The fact that I can't see their posts (more than once or twice) is merely efficient use of my time.

There are some people here that I feel irritable about. Again, I find it more efficient use of my time to not engage with them. I might be helpful to six or twelve sincere questioners in the time it would require to beat a dead horse or convince a person who doesn't want to be convinced. For a few, the phrase, "Asperger's Syndrome" has been mentioned. Again, not an efficient use of my time.

I am here to serve the beginners, and some not so naive. I am also here to learn. Some people have skills in specialties other than mine and we learn from each other. I choose to be expedient in those endeavors when it is practical. The Ignore button is just a tool. I can use it to improve my effectiveness and my experience at AAC.
Thanks for that!:) -- You present an aspect of the matter I had not considered (To wit: screening as opposed to 'ducking')...

Very best regards
HP

PS
Tonight, there were several that could only be explained by the temporal proximity of the full moon.
Aye! And here I thought they owed to 'evil spirits' of the 'ethanol clade':D:D:D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
As a moderator I do not ignore people. I could not do my job here if I did!

However, there have been occasional folk who tend to get my blood pressure up. None come to mind at present, but I just used my mental ignore skills while scanning their posts making sure they weren't abusing the site privileges. You have to go about moderating in a certain state of mind sometimes.

For those people who are not moderators I highly encourage using the ignore feature when personalities clash. It is better than flaming.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
I highly encourage using the ignore feature when personalities clash. It is better than flaming.
Where those are indeed the alternatives, I tend to agree --- That said - it has long been my observation that a healthy measure of adversarialism seems a factor in formation of strong, enduring relationships --- Granting that my application of such considerations to 'text-mode' interaction may be a 'stretch'... All of which is to say; Your points are well taken!:)

Best regards
HP

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
And, as DerStrom8 posted, ignored posts still appear but their content is masked. I can tell when a post of an ignored member may have affected the flow of the thread - in that case the forum software has a useful feature "show ignored content" that is like a one time pass.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
And, as DerStrom8 posted, ignored posts still appear but their content is masked. I can tell when a post of an ignored member may have affected the flow of the thread - in that case the forum software has a useful feature "show ignored content" that is like a one time pass.
The issue is that I tended to find myself showing ignored content every time in order to keep up with the thread, so the ignore was actually useless.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
As a moderator I do not ignore people. I could not do my job here if I did!
That is the downside to being a moderator. Having to read every posting and deciphering it's context to ensure the poster is within the Terms of Service. It's a thankless job, and it's important for other members to recognize and support the moderator team. I know the majority here already do that.