Futaba DG10Q1 display

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jgessling, Aug 15, 2009.

1. jgessling

Thread Starter Active Member

Jul 31, 2009
    I've got some of these (Single digit VFD display) from an old calculator that I am trying to make some kind of display out of. I have got the pinout and voltages. There are basically three things, a filament that needs about 1v to heat it, a grid that needs 12v and for each segment another 12 v connection.

I can get the filament going with a single battery. Plus to the filament and then back to the battery minus.

Now my trouble starts. I have a 12v bench supply and I'm supposed to hook the plus up to the grid. But that's not really a circuit, at least that I can see. So what's with that? Then for each segment I need to hook that up make each one glow.

As you can see I'm not much knowledgeable about this stuff. I'm not ready to think about drivers and IC's and programming. What I want to do is to just use my breadboard and connect up a few wires to show a segment. Can any please give me some details to do this?

Thanks, Jim

p.s. I'm actually a software guy, I can do the programming, what I want to do is to understand and fiddle with the lowest level that I can