Functions implementation with MUX

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by wire, Jan 14, 2012.

1. wire

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Guys I need to implement a MUX which can implement the following operations.

I have to implement 4 operations.
    ADDITION ......5 OUTPUTS
    SHIFT Register.......4 outputs
    Comparator..........3 outputs
    Multiplier ............8 outputs

I need to know how can design a mux or some thing else ...that implements a function only when the selection the selection line is chosen.The problem is that I need various outputs ....depending on operation.Please help.DNT HAVE MUCH TIME.

2. wire

Dec 18, 2011
    if possible how can decoders and encoders can be used with it ...if possible....

3. wire

Dec 18, 2011
    THANKS BUT THERE IS ANOTHER PROBLEM. I need to implement a MUX which can implement the following operations.

I have to implement 4 operations.
    ADDITION ......5 OUTPUTS
    SHIFT Register.......4 outputs
    Comparator..........3 outputs
    Multiplier ............8 outputs

I need to know how can design a mux or some thing else ...that implements a function only when the selection the selection line is chosen.The problem is that I need various outputs ....depending on operation.Please help.DO NOT HAVE MUCH TIME.

4. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    Your post, found here ( http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?p=444207#post444207), has been moved into its own thread, where it will draw more responses.

Please refrain from "hijacking" existing threads with tangent or off-topic questions. You can create new threads for new questions using the "New Thread" button on the upper left of the page.

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Is this supposed to be done using discrete logic ICs, a microcontroller, FPGA, or are you to design the IC masks to fabricate the chip?

What are the inputs?

6. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    @wire

Please don't post the same question in more than one threads. It leads to confusion and scattered answers.

Thank you.

7. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    In another post of yours, you mention that you need an IC that does 8x8 bit multiplication. That result is up to 16 bits long.

In this post, you want a multiplier that has 8 outputs. Which is the correct specification?

Other than that, would you like to start, by making the effort to draw the block diagram of your ALU?