Function generator in OS5020g oscilliscope help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Surfwax, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Surfwax

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    New to scopes and was given this little dual 20mhz scope with function generator. It's used and so far not having much luck getting a signal from the function generator What would be the best way to test it? If I run the output into channel 1 with a probe should it read the signal it's making? I have a basic probe with 1x ref and 10x switch.

Nov 30, 2010
    This isn't much information for us to work with but...I would start by seeing if I can get the scope to show anything by measuring my finger hum with the X1 probe. After you get the screen to show a sort of sine wave that is picked up from the air by your body, you can be sure that if the signal generator produces anything, you will see it.

Weak answer? True, but that's what I can come up with from the information you started with. Better questions get better answers. Add some more information and you will get more (and better) answers.
  3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Also scope should have a probe calibration on the front of the scope. It has an out put all of the time.

Assuming this is a digital scope, it might have an auto feature. Hook the probe to the cal port and press auto.
  4. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
  5. Surfwax

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 25, 2012
    thanks, the scope works on both channels as did adjust the probes Was just confused as it has a built-in 1MHz function generator with TTL output. So sine, sqaure, triangle, tll output. Was hooking the output of this generator section back into channel 1 of scope to see if I could see these waves and mess around with the adjustments but nada. Was hoping someone might have a quick way to test the generator to the scope. Do I need to built a simple circuit and pump the signal into it? Was hoping to just pump it back into the scope but no luck. do I need a coax cable or should the probes work if hooking back into the scope?