Fully turning off PNP transistor

Fransisco Ferreira

Joined Jul 8, 2016
Hi,

I have a microcontroller interfacing with an SD card. I want to be able to remove the power supply from the SD card when the device goes into "sleep" mode. I use the following schematic to connect/disconnet the sd card power supply:
upload_2016-10-4_14-29-58.png

When pulling the base to GND the sd card turns on. But when i try to turn the transistor off, the collector only drops to 2.8V and never disconnects the SD card from the power supply(VCC).

I dont understand what is wrong with this circuit, when removing the SD card and connecting a load to the transistor collector pin the transistor works as it's supposed to do so it looks like the SD card is causing this behavior. Any advice?

Regards,
Sisco

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
The base of the transistor needs to be pulled up to Vcc with a resistor. When there is no current through R141, T23 will be turned off.

Fransisco Ferreira

Joined Jul 8, 2016
The base of the transistor needs to be pulled up to Vcc with a resistor. When there is no current through R141, T23 will be turned off.
Hi Papabravo,

Thanks for the quick reply. I should have said it right from the beginning but i already tried using a 10K pull-up resistor between the base and VCC without any success. Also the microcontroller pin and the SD card power supply are both 3.3V, so when the controller is driving the base high no current should be able to flow right?

Sisco

Kjeldgaard

Joined Apr 7, 2016
What about control / control / data signals to the SD card?

If these portbit is not set low or tristated, there will probably run current "backwards" from the the SD card data to its supply.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
What about control / control / data signals to the SD card?

If these portbit is not set low or tristated, there will probably run current "backwards" from the the SD card data to its supply.
Where would this "backwards" current come from? The SD card reader has no other power source.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
What I suggest, is that the U-controller sends current "backwards" through the SD card data and control connections ESD protection diodes to SD card supply.

And I see now that there are some pull-up resistors of the same potential current path.
Sorry, I see what you mean now, I think this is a possibility.

eetech00

Joined Jun 8, 2013
Hi

Try putting a 2.2k resistor from the PNP transistor collector to ground so that the 2.2k resistor is in parallel with C127 and C128.
Like this:

upload_2016-10-4_19-28-52.png

Fransisco Ferreira

Joined Jul 8, 2016
What I suggest, is that the U-controller sends current "backwards" through the SD card data and control connections ESD protection diodes to SD card supply.

And I see now that there are some pull-up resistors of the same potential current path.
This was indeed the problem, setting these pins to low before disconnecting the power allows the card to be reset properly.

Thank you all so much for the help!