Full wave rectifier

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by almu_2012, Jan 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almu_2012

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Hiiiiiiiiii

I am new to this forum

I am a student

I have one doubt in fulwave rectifier

I am giving input voltage 220Vac and how much i get output of dc by using bridge rectifier and how i have to calculate

for the same i want to know half wave also

Can any one help me in this

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Rectify a 220 volt AC is NOT something a beginner should even think about. But for a theoretical academic exercise. I guess it is ok to discuss it.
    First you must remember that 220 volt is the RMS value (google RMS if you are unsure). And the peak value will be square root(2) higher for a pure sine wave. So if you rectify a 220 volt AC using diodes you will get a pulsating DC that pulse between zero and 220* square root(2). To be exact you have to subtract the diode voltage drop also. I think this wiki paper may cast some light to your problem. Note the deference between half and full wave rectifier
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rectifier
    Edit Do this has thread something to do with this thread http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=64480. To be honest I think you should have proper training, or at least getting help from someone that know what they are doing. If not put this project on hold. It is for your own and others safety.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. almu_2012

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 9, 2012
    Thanks a lot t06afre

Your information is very useful & easy to understand t06afre

Thanks
    Almu

4. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    Since you will likely proceed with your project anyway, please be sure all your circuit connections are clean and tight prior to powering up.
    It wouldn't hurt to have a qualified electrician critique your hookups as well.

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You need to read up on diodes and rectifiers. With no load or filtering, the output waves will be like the input, less the diode voltage drop (depends on current and temperature) and of course with the polarity of the "negative" half of the wave reversed or blocked, for a full or half-wave rectifier respectively.

But you're probably wanting the integrated, average result. Often called RMS. This will depend on the load and any filtering (capacitors, eg.) that might be present.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Transformerless power supplies are against our Terms of Service (TOS). I am closing this thread as it violates AAC policy and/or safety issues.

There is no safe way to create a DC voltage without using a transformer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.