full wave rectified 35 dc to 24v battery charger project

davidhills

Joined Sep 14, 2008
Good Morning

Can anyone help me with this project?

I would like to utilise the components from a arc welder to make a high current 24 volt battery charger.

The arc welder produces a fully rectified out put of between 35 and 60 volts depending on the transformer tapping rotory switch.

I would like to build a high current 24 volt charger to quickly re-charge a 300 amp hour 24 volt lead acid battery array. The batteries should be able to sustain a 30amp charging current.

the welder has a large smoothing current choke on it's output and the circuit is as below using a center tap transformer and two 100amp stud diodes.

Idealy I would like to take the output from the welder and just pass it through some circuitary to produce and contolled charging current and voltage that will quickly recharge the cells without "boiling the bollocks" out of them.

Is it possible?

welder circuit is as below with big choke on output aswell

thanks

David Hills

For single-phase AC, if the transformer is center-tapped, then two diodes back-to-back (i.e. anodes-to-anode or cathode-to-cathode) can form a full-wave rectifier. Twice as many windings are required on the transformer secondary to obtain the same output voltage compared to the bridge rectifier above.

Full-wave rectifier using a transformer and 2 diodes.