Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier

gbox

Joined Dec 29, 2015
I am trying to understand, why do the Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier turns the negative wave into a positive one.
I get it that when the AC wave is positive is has one direction to go and so does when the AC wave is negative, but why we measure it has positive?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I am trying to understand, why do the Full-Wave Bridge Rectifier turns the negative wave into a positive one.
I get it that when the AC wave is positive is has one direction to go and so does when the AC wave is negative, but why we measure it has positive?
I if you look at the bridge you will see that the diodes are such that whichever side of the AC signal is positive goes to the positive side of the bridge output, and whichever side is negative goes to the bridge negative output.
It works because the AC signal source is not grounded so, in effect, the bridge alternately grounds the negative side of the signal so that the output is always positive.

If the source were grounded than the bridge circuit wouldn't work into a grounded load.

gbox

Joined Dec 29, 2015
I if you look at the bridge you will see that the diodes are such that whichever side of the AC signal is positive goes to the positive side of the bridge output, and whichever side is negative goes to the bridge negative output.
It works because the AC signal source is not grounded so, in effect, the bridge alternately grounds the negative side of the signal so that the output is always positive.

If the source were grounded than the bridge circuit wouldn't work into a grounded load.
I can look at the AC as a battery that changes sides, this way if the probe will always read a positive voltage difference?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
There are some excellent animations online that show how the current flows as the AC sine wave passes. I can't provide a link right now but you be able to find one if you include "rectifier animation" in your search.

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
You are missing the reference points. When sine wave enters the rectifier, it is referenced to some external reference point. When you look at the sine wave with respect to that external reference, then you have positive half of the sine wave and negative half of the sine wave.

But, the circuit that comes after the rectifier does not use that external reference. It has its own reference point. So whatever comes out of the rectifier and enters the circuit will be positive because it is higher voltage (meaning positive) then the internal reference of the circuit.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I can look at the AC as a battery that changes sides, this way if the probe will always read a positive voltage difference?
Yes, if you hook a battery up to the bridge input, the bridge output will always be positive, no matter which way the battery is connected.

Last edited: