Full Adder and MUX

fiendslyr

Joined Mar 22, 2011
I am building a 2 bit ripple carry adder (one from logic gates and the other from 2 4:1 MUXes). I've built the first stage using logic gates with two outputs (the sum "S" and the carry out "Cout"). I am now supposed to take that Cout and build the second stage using dual 4:1 mux. I've made the truth table for the second stage but am not sure how to implement the two tables using MUXes. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could get me started on the second stage of the ripple carry adder. Thanks.

fiendslyr

Joined Mar 22, 2011
So, this is what I got after reading my notes for the class... Could someone please verify it?

For SUM Mux controlled by A, B
mux input 0 connected to Cin
mux input 1 connected to Cin inverted
mux input 2 connected to Cin inverted
mux input 3 connected to Cin

For CARRY Mux controlled by A, B
mux input 0 connected to '0'
mux input 1 connected to Cin
mux input 2 connected to Cin
mux input 3 connected to '1'

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Your connection seem correct. Do you understand the method for implementing Boolean functions with a MUX or do you need some crarifications?

fiendslyr

Joined Mar 22, 2011
I would really appreciate some clarifications as my professor has not been too clear about multiplexers in class (and neither has his presentations).

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Let's first examine the S function. Take a look at the 3-variable truth table you made. It's columns are A, B and Cin.

Leave Cin aside for now and look at the first two columns. They contain 4 double entries of the A-B combinations. These will control a MUX of equal control pins (2 in our case). They are the inputs that point which MUX input will be selected each time.

In the first case, AB=00, you notice that the S result is the same as the Cin (the last input in general) input, 0 in the first row, and 1 in the second. That means that you must connect the 00-pin of the MUX directly to the Cin input.

If AB=01, you see that S is opposite to the Cin, and you must connect the 01-pin of the MUX with NOT(Cin).

Other cases are that the result function will be 0 in both rows or 1 in both rows. That means you have to either ground the MUX pin or attach it to the power supply.