Frustration with nOObs?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

With my almost 40 years in contact with electronics, I am even learning here at the forum.
This is because when I do not know a direct answer, I start taking a look at the internet to find a solution.
This helps not only the noobs, but also me.

Bertus

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
I like talking about complicated electronic circuits. But it seems that every thread is from a nOOb (almost always THE SAME NOOB over and over!) about basic electronics taught in high school and is detailed in Google.
Most of the nOObs are from a foreign country where everything including language is different.

Is this the wrong website for me?
I do not think so. Pero, me parece Audioguru, que la culpa es tuya. (Wife to rescue here...)

You are the one who insist in replying long threads of people that seem prone to just ASK questions to no end. I recall posting once on this very same subject, in a thread from a well known serial-questions poster. YOU were there replying his, one after the other.

After all, who press you to get involved so deeply? You could even ignore them altogether.

BTW, good opportunity to say that I read ALL your replies to ALL posts. Find them useful for me.

With all the respect I O U.

Last edited:

TBayBoy

Joined May 25, 2011
Interesting thread, myself I'm a foreigner I come from Canada. Electronics was not part of my high school education, and after retirement returned to school to learn it by choice so after the first year of a planned 3 where do I fall on the "your ******* me off scale"?

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Shoot dude, them's thats not Americans or Canadians are from the UK or India or Oz. Trust me, AG can be crusty sometimes, but he generally helps more than he bites, and he gives good advice.

As for me, I like helping people when I can. Like everyone, I have weak spots, but I also have strengths. That's what it is really all about.

My advice, ask questions, read the answers, judge the people you choose to trust (Wookie is probably tops in that category). Don't answer questions you don't really know the answer to, other than to gather more information. Know that everyone sticks their foot into their mouths now and again.

Have fun!

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
@ BillMarsden- Your selling yourself short :) You and Wookie are the two that, for me, put this stuff into a way that can be understood. You never talk down to those of us that aren't on your level!

ducat

Joined May 29, 2011
Good thread. I am new here, think I'm d newest in d forum. I've followed discussion on this forum for a very long time before I joined. I greatly appreciate what is going on here. Let me give an insight into how valueable u guys are to the so called noobs. In my part of the world, a university EE lecturer call not indentify a transistor. 90% of guys doing EE have not seen an oscilloscope. All they have is just their soldering irön and at best a DVM. Folks here will greatly appreciate u and pls bear with them for their nursery school question. Thanks

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Interesting thread, myself I'm a foreigner I come from Canada. Electronics was not part of my high school education, and after retirement returned to school to learn it by choice so after the first year of a planned 3 where do I fall on the "your ******* me off scale"?
Well, it's kinds hard to judge someone with only 9 posts :p ;)

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
In my part of the world, a university EE lecturer call not indentify a transistor. 90% of guys doing EE have not seen an oscilloscope. All they have is just their soldering irön and at best a DVM. Folks here will greatly appreciate u and pls bear with them for their nursery school question. Thanks
You are right in that. I had the experience of trying to help someone on another forum. I thought I was dealing with a youngster who was trying to get started in electronics. Not so, it was someone in his last year of college going for a BA in electronics.... His final was to explain an inverter circuit drawn from a book. I could not believe some of the things he told me about his "Instructors and his project director." Not sure what that is or was. Real eye opener.:rolleyes:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I suspect a lot of countries don't really have standards for what a tech is. The kind of standards I'm talking about aren't governmental, more industrial. Companies like Raytheon and Rockwell care about the quality of professionals they hire. They have to.

So you get people who build themselves up by claiming credentials they don't really have. We see a lot of that here. I don't really care unless they start feeding trash to beginners.

There is another type that is usually gone very quickly from AAC. They are the ones who want to build themselves up by tearing other people down. In my first week here at AAC I flagged such thread. Our moderators are excellent on this front.

My attitude (as already stated) boils down to Don't be afraid to ask a question (and if you didn't understand the answer, ask again!) and have fun. For those who don't enjoy electronics this subject has got to be tedious beyond death.

I'm afraid I've been a bit short tempered myself lately. I'm snapping out of it though, by talking a minor vacation from here (one hour instead of 16). I've been in a deep funk, and it shows sometimes.

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
ThunderBay Boy,

I hope you realize AG resides north of the 48th parallel. like you. I've know some pretty good electronics technicians the hailed from the west coast of Canada, Newfie land, and Denmark. I met them when I was teaching in the military. Don't sell yourself short. There will always be someone more knowledgable then you and someone not as knowledgeable as you. That's life. Live and learn. Oh yeah ... have some fun along the way. :D

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
ThunderBay Boy,

I hope you realize AG resides north of the 48th parallel. Like you.
I have seen polar bears way up North at Thunder Bay. It gets very cold there for a lot of each year.
My Canadian city is south of many American cities, its latitude is 43.3 degrees.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't really think of Canadians as "foreigners". They just live in "Farther North America". As long as the cold doesn't give them "brain freeze" I get along with them just fine.

Wear a good hat, AG. You are an asset here.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I just help a few that sound like they can read English and know better than to stick a fork in an outlet.
Oh yeah, I had one EE student that sat around while his two team mates puzzled over their breadboard, then he stuck the needle nose pliers into the AC outlet. I have a snub-nosed pliers to prove it.

I think I must have seen them all!

One student could not get a voltage out of a 7400 chip. I told him to check the voltage at the top of the chip. He touched the tip of the scope probe on the top of the DIP package!:rolleyes:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think I just got done with one who basically said, "For my school year project, I want you to design the whole thing, with only one specification given, put it on a circuit board using this program, and send me the files".

When something online irritates me this much I should take a vacation.