Frustration with nOObs?

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
I know this thread was posted yesterday but I could not get to it until today. Hope it's not to late. AG, you have answered my question with a clarity that brought the real meaning home. I know I am as capable as anyone of asking seemingly senseless questions but most people respond with generosity and I go away knowing a bit more after, then I started out knowing. Your answer to my first question about the 4017 datasheet changed the way I look at all datasheets now. I am not an EE, just a tired old technician who likes electronics but you made a lasting impression. I would be saddened to lose that expert shoulder if I should need it in the future and youir loss would felt.

Formal teaching is something I have only experienced a few times in my 68 years. Once years ago I was involved in the literacy program, (adult continuing education) and it was an eye opener frustrating and rewarding, all at the same time. Some of the people wanted you to say something magic and they would be able to read. Others were just doing it as a requirement for the job and would put little effort into it. But some really tried and the ones I experienced the most satisfaction for helping were those few who found it hard but worked at it. A few of them were able to read at what I would consider a third or fourth grade level after the course ended but they were as proud as if they had walked the moon. To see adults respond like that... Well that made it all worth the effort. :)

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
A mistake on both sides,don't ask "how am I doing" someone
will tell you. Then, the the truth hurts. Off -Topic remember.
When It comes to off-topic alot of people could be doing
better or worst.So listen and give your opinion that go's to
both sides.As fast as the internet is,life is still faster.I have a list
of things to do today,yet you slow down to check out the Internet.
How much value will you receive from the Internet,how much time
to do things will you lose.

Kingsparks

Joined May 17, 2011
OK, I see Kingsparks mentioned the 4017, one of my favourite ICs! Some folks break into song, others... well... :D
NBW.

I like the 4017 also, use it any time I get a chance. As with many circuits I built over the years, I have been questioned as to why I don't use something more up to date. My answer, depending on the seriousness of the questioner, is that like me it may be old but there is nothing wrong with it. Also like a lot of circuits I build, I use it because I have a bunch of them in my "junk box," mostly remaining from when I sold my business.

I liked your cartoon also. :)

nbw

Joined May 8, 2011
NBW.

I like the 4017 also, use it any time I get a chance. As with many circuits I built over the years, I have been questioned as to why I don't use something more up to date. My answer, depending on the seriousness of the questioner, is that like me it may be old but there is nothing wrong with it. Also like a lot of circuits I build, I use it because I have a bunch of them in my "junk box," mostly remaining from when I sold my business.

I liked your cartoon also. :)
Yeah I'm the same. I have a whole bunch of AND and OR gates lying around, I know I will use them one day for something... can't bear to part with them in the meantime!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Where do I rank?
Beginner?
Magnet, you strike me as the kind of guy who is on the right track, very knowledgeable in many aspects of electronics, but know you still have more to learn in others. Does this sound about right?

I know I am new here, but out of curiosity I'd like to ask this same question. :p
Where do you guys place me?

Der Strom

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
LightFire is a case in point, he is young, and younger folks ask a lot of questions. When I was his age I know I aggravated my teachers.
To use this example, Catapult recently tried joining another forum of which I am a member, and they treated him in a less-than-friendly fashion that shocked me. It seemed as if they were discriminating against him simply because of his age--his nOOb-ness, so to speak. AAC has done a terrific job of accepting beginners and helping them with their questions, even if they are obviously from a beginner. I think that is what makes a good forum--acceptance of anyone, regardless of age, race, beliefs, experience level, etc. If you ask me, without "nOObs", a forum could be rather dull. Substance comes from the diversity of young and old, beginners and experts, etc.

Der Strom

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
If a forum doesn't help out noobs/newbs some day in the future there will be no knowledgeable people for the hobby.

Even the most knowledgeable expert had to start somewhere. no one is born with this it is learned. In my younger days there were a bunch of electronics magazines, not like "Nuts and Volts" that have switched over to mostly micro processor projects, but real electronics magazines. It's a shame that there aren't some today.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
I can bear over with people being new to something and hence very uncertain. I have now problem with that. What I do not like is postings like "Me and my group has this assignment. I am totaly new to this stuff. Can anybody post a schematic with working code pleeeeezzzz" Doh!

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@ Shortbus.It Is amazing how every thing electronic fits so perfect.
They don't expect you to take anything apart except for factory service.
They want you to have the extended service plan.They sell you something
without having to tell you what you are buying.You cannot buy anything
with a parts list of what you are buying.People are so dazzled about what
they can do.But you have to respect the engineering that go's into products
and the size and shapes and the machines that make all this happen.
Put your self in a class room surrounded by students that know far more
than you know about the subject.The teacher has to confound the students
with problems in self defense to control the class. The power of grades
without explaination,passing or failure most questions has urgent time
frame,teacher vs student.

Last edited:

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Magnet, you strike me as the kind of guy who is on the right track, very knowledgeable in many aspects of electronics, but know you still have more to learn in others. Does this sound about right?

I know I am new here, but out of curiosity I'd like to ask this same question. :p
Where do you guys place me?

Der Strom
I don't really think there are any areas in which I'm "very knowledgeable", but thanks. :)

From what I've seen you seem intermediate/advanced, your usually on the answering side of things rather than the asking side.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
@DerStrom8,Don't ever ask how you are doing,learn to have confidence
in your self.Listen and post on your strong points,and learn how to ask
questions.

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You won't regret it,every one has there issues.
That why a lot of people wait so they don't get
Into something that will expose lack of knowledge.
You have to learn to run with the big dogs. You
are In the mix you want to stay there.Think about
your avatar,be your self,its better to just have
DerStrom8 without the picture. I like the one's with
movement,my friends list is always jumping around
and having a party.

Lightfire

Joined Oct 5, 2010
1.When you are in a nOOb stage, you will ask and ask and ask and ask and ask until you get a good answer.
2.When somebody called you a nOOb because you're always asking instead of searching it by yourself, you will be hurted and you will learned to be with yourself and minimize your asking. You will learned to study, search, find, and so it with yourself.
3.When you became expert, you will forget this 2 stages and you will also forget how's the life of beeing a nOOb, what's the feeling when you are a nOOb, because you thought you know everything and because you forget this, you will going to fight with nOObs now.

That is the stages of most people who hate noobs. :)

good thing, some experts here is not complaining about noobs. :D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
My frustration lies elsewhere, and not with you.

I can say I have a part, someone else can say they have a part, yet people assume that since they have never seen that part you are 1. lying, 2. wrong, 3. have one of two in the known universe.

The thought that their knowledge base is far from complete never enters their mind.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
I help many nOObs learn the basics of electronics on many websites.
But I get upset with school kids (usually from one country that has billions of them) who demand on a PM to me that I do their homework for them. They do not want to learn anything, they want (me) to pass their course!

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Think about
your avatar,be your self,its better to just have
DerStrom8 without the picture.
I have a picture of Nikola Tesla as my avatar because he is my hero and my inspiration. He worked hard to make the world a better place, despite negativity from so many people. He was able to overcome discouragement, and for this reason, changed the world. There are too many people who do not even know who Tesla is. I used his picture as my avatar as a reminder of one of the world's greatest heroes, to show that he will never be forgotten.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
I'll pick up on a noob question every now and again because I'm still quite noobly myself. their exercise becomes my exercise and I become stronger because of it. I will go out and research things I don't know about until I have enough understanding to answer the question. I guess I'm living vicariously through them because I can't afford to go to college myself. The only thing that irritates me is when I (or anyone else) gives the answer in plain easy to understand english, and then the answer is completely ignored or the question is asked again or they just disappear without any thanks or confirmation that the answer was helpful. I can see how this would be ten-fold as irritating to someone who already has a vast understanding of the topic and nothing other than gratitude to gain from answering.