From siren warbler to......?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Fenris, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Fenris

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 21, 2007
    hi all

ive been looking for a sound effect circuit to produce a 'real' laser sound rather than the toy sounding type. i found this circuit based on a pair of 555 IC's that says it produces a warbling siren. ignore the values in the picture i have the correct values elsewhere. now one resistor in each stage i know i can change for a variable resistor to have a 'tunable sound' also if i add a third stage would it add anything to the overall effect? i have enough parts in my bits box to make the dual IC version just to see if i can get the effect i want. Is it worth trying? and trying a 3 stage version or does anyone know of a better, but, similarly simple circuit that will give me more range or ease of fiddling with. I include the schematic it is based on for your reference.

cheers.

Fenris

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I see that you have used the two tone experiment from this site :
    http://www.uoguelph.ca/~antoon/gadgets/555/555.html

Another way of modulating the freqeuncy is connecting the 47K resistor R3 to Pin 5 (control voltage) of the next NE555.

Greetings,
    Bertus

3. Fenris

Oct 21, 2007
    cheers

i will breadboard the circuit and give it a whirl.

regards

Fenris

4. Fenris

Oct 21, 2007
    oh well had a bit of fun trying it out. changed caps and used 2 variable resistors to get variations but mostly went from sounding like a bag full of mad crickets. car engine, various emergency sirens etc etc. i think im not going to achieve anything near what i would like. ISD chipcorders were something i was looking at and although i seem to have nailed a supplier in the uk i cant find the PCB layout i found once before. the ISD's are layout critical. Any suggestions anyone?

Regards

Fenris

5. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  6. Fenris

Oct 21, 2007
    thanks for that. i will see what they can do re the demo unit. I fear that unless their uk arm can supply then the cost of shipping will be a problem. Still nothing ventured nothing gained.

regards

Fenris

7. thingmaker3

Retired Moderator

May 16, 2005
    What should a laser sound like in this instance? The old-fashioned Star Trek scream? The new Star Trek hiss? The metallic spew from the old Battlestar Galactica? The electric farts from Star Wars?

8. Fenris

Oct 21, 2007
    A Dalek Weapon from the Dr Who classic 'Genesis of the Daleks' specifically the last scene in episode six. Quite a high frequency with a pulsing or rippling effect. If i knew how to record the sound off the DVD on to my PC i would put the sound up on the board.

Regards

Fenris