From laptop to desk top

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You should refrain from making any personal comments when engaging in a technical discussion. I'm not dumb enough to not know the difference. I understand the reason you make such comments, and I don't tolerate personal comments directed at me. Further, I don't have to tolerate them, as the are not allowed by the site TOS.

DerStrom said:
300MB is a medium-sized file compared to 10-gig files that I've had to deal with in the past.
And a 10-gig files is a medium size file compared to a 100-gig file. And a 100-gig files is a medium file compared to a 1TB file. And a 1 TB file is a medium size file compared to a 10TB file, and so on and so forth. However, the for the overwhelmingly majority of users, files of 4-5 MB are going to me a typical size they want to transfer. For large files, there are other ways to acquire them, as I have already pointed out.

I think you have succeeded in derailing this discussion with your machinations about files size. Please try to stay OT in the future, and avoid personal comments.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You are allowing yourselves to be worked up over the definition of a relative term. Ask 20 people what a large file us and you will have 20 different responses.

Brownout's suggestion of emailing the files to yourself will work for files less than 25MB. There are times that this will not be sufficient and another process is required. At that point, there is no point in having to email files to yourself and using another bulk-transfer method, since the bulk-transfer could do it all. In light of the fact the OP is transferring a number of files to another computer, there is a decent possibility that there will be a few >25MB files. So email may not be an efficient option, but is a viable option otherwise.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I made a mistake in my earlier calculation. A 300MB file would be closer to 7,000 pages, not 700 as I earlier stated. I have a 25MB PDF that's a little over 500 pages, and so I could easily e-mail a 500 page PDF file in the vinilla flavor of Yahoo mail. I'll also point out for the benifit of the OP, that that many file formats lend thierselves well to compression, by as much as 75%. So, with compression, he can e-mail a 2,000 page document using a basic web based e-mail service, depending on the file's format.

EDIT: After checking a few more PDF's I've found the size per page is highly variable. So, I ammend my calcuations to show a 300MB PDF can be anywhere between 2,000 - 7,000 pages.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
To be more precise, the size of the pdf is dependent on what is contained. Black and white is very compact compared to a document with lots of color, created from high quality images. There is no rubric for page vs. file size unless you also specify the type of document it is, and even then, not so much...

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
The large size per page PDF is a presentation with lots of graphics. The smaller size is a user's guide with mostly text. Both are color. The numbers give you an idea of the range you can expect. Though the range is wide, I'd say the smaller size one better represents the typical document. I'm not sure how much a PDF can be compressed, but I would bet it already makes good efficient use of it's resources.

Either way, the bottom line is 25MB is alot of data for most users.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You should refrain from making any personal comments when engaging in a technical discussion. I'm not dumb enough to not know the difference. I understand the reason you make such comments, and I don't tolerate personal comments directed at me. Further, I don't have to tolerate them, as the are not allowed by the site TOS.

I think you have succeeded in derailing this discussion with your machinations about files size. Please try to stay OT in the future, and avoid personal comments.
For the last time, I am not making ANY personal comments WHATSOEVER. I am engaging in a perfectly normal technical discussion regarding file size and the ability to transfer them using different methods. I don't know why you insist that I'm insulting you or directing negative comments towards you. This is the same problem we had over at ETO. What have I ever done to cause you to think that I have negative opinions towards you? Absolutely nothing, that's what. These accusations towards me are entirely unfounded. I have never said or done anything to insult you, nor do I ever plan to. We're all mature adults here, and I hope we can put these childish arguments behind us.

You are allowing yourselves to be worked up over the definition of a relative term. Ask 20 people what a large file us and you will have 20 different responses.

Brownout's suggestion of emailing the files to yourself will work for files less than 25MB. There are times that this will not be sufficient and another process is required. At that point, there is no point in having to email files to yourself and using another bulk-transfer method, since the bulk-transfer could do it all. In light of the fact the OP is transferring a number of files to another computer, there is a decent possibility that there will be a few >25MB files. So email may not be an efficient option, but is a viable option otherwise.
Thank you tshuck. My point exactly :) As I mentioned in my last post, if the OP only needs to transfer small files (<25MB) then by all means, send them via email. Otherwise, I made a couple of other suggestions, in case it exceeded that size.

If anyone else (besides Brownout) can see what I'm saying that he's taking offensively, please point them out and I would be happy to remove them. I honestly don't think I've said anything wrong.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Thank you tshuck. My point exactly :) As I mentioned in my last post, if the OP only needs to transfer small files (<25MB) then by all means, send them via email. Otherwise, I made a couple of other suggestions, in case it exceeded that size.
Actually, tshuck didn't say <25MB is small files. Now you're misquoting him.

For the last time, I am not making ANY personal comments WHATSOEVER
Then make this the last time you ever tell me what I work with. You don't know what I work with, and it's not your place to opine about it.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You obviously don't work with large files enough to realize that 300MB IS, in fact, a medium sized file. Good for you--I imagine that makes things easier for you, that you don't have to struggle with large ones.
I don't think you're in a position to know what I work with.
I believe this is where the breakdown occurred. I think Brownout had taken smaller file sizes to be an indication of his abilities, as you don't give a 700 page document to someone that isn't good at their job. However, I don't think this is how Derstrom8 meant it. I think he was genuine in saying that it is good that you don't have to deal with such large files, as they are a pain to use and move around (much as we've been saying).

I think the implied simplicity of the document in a small file size is the problem, however there is no such fact that a small file size means simple. Technical documents are all over the place when it comes to file size, a 5000 page requirement spec may be smaller than a 20 page series of drawings.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
I believe this is where the breakdown occurred. I think Brownout had taken smaller file sizes to be an indication of his abilities, as you don't give a 700 page document to someone that isn't good at their job. However, I don't think this is how Derstrom8 meant it. I think he was genuine in saying that it is good that you don't have to deal with such large files, as they are a pain to use and move around (much as we've been saying).
I think you're missing my point. Wether or not I work with large files is irrelevant. Nobody here knows what I work with, and to make such a statement about my work is to speak of things he knows nothing about. The comment is, at best, a gratuitous one. And, I believe it was intended to diminish my opinion about the topic. There is no other reason for such a personal comment within the context of a technical discussion.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
25MB is hardly useless. That size typically allows you to send Word documents, spreadsheets, image files (.jpeg .bmp .gif, etc) web pages and multiple attachments. How else would I be able to share all of these files over my yahoo account?
To be fair, Brownout, you did day you you use use this method to transfer files, so the idea that you use this size files regularly is not unfounded. Derstrom8 would happen to call this file size small, given his regular use of larger files.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
To be fair, Brownout, you did day you you use use this method to transfer files, so the idea that you use this size files regularly is not unfounded. Derstrom8 would happen to call this file size small, given his regular use of larger files.

You're extrapolating. What I've said time and time again is that <25MB is sufficient for an overwelmingly majority of user's file. I made no comment about my work. To clue you in, I have a work life and a personal life. I made no distinctions between the two. And I sure as HELL wouldn't be sharing my work over Yahoo.

From now on, I'd appreciate keeping personal comments out of our technical discussions.

Last edited:

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You're extrapolating. What I've said time and time again is that <25MB is sufficient for an overwelmingly majority of user's file. I made no comment about my work. To clue you in, I have a work life and a personal life. I made no distinctions between the two.

From now on, I'd appreciate keeping personal comments out of our technical discussions.

Make no mistake, I am here now because I want to help ease the tension between you two. I am not taking sides, nor am I saying one person is right, I am trying to give you both perspective into what the other may have meant.

This discussion is with respect to moving a large number of files toanother computer. And, as I have said, 25MB is ample for most people. I have not made any personal assumptions about you, as I am only presented with what you give us, I have, however, taken what you have said to be true, so that you email files to yourself as a means of data transfer.

On a larger scale, personal comments are impossible to avoid, everyone has preferences and, when there are multiple ways of doing something, those preferences are bound to show through. That is not to say that it is okay to make judgment calls on a person, just that their preference is whatever it is.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Just finished listing all files in this PC. The two biggests (non-.exe) ones are 278 Mb. Next after them comes a 178 Mb. Size then drops fast.

I am not into gaming, videos or music.

This is my "personal" PC. In the next room it is sitting the "office"'s PC.

Depending on the mood I email files to my other self or just use one of the two pen drives around.

I recall, when we were kids, really little young kids, eventually we used to compare sizes. Not of files, precisely.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Actually, tshuck didn't say <25MB is small files. Now you're misquoting him.
No, you're misquoting me. The "small files" in that post of mine was by my own definition. The part of his post that I was quoting was the files <25MB that can be sent over email.

Then make this the last time you ever tell me what I work with. You don't know what I work with, and it's not your place to opine about it.
I was not giving any opinions about your work, I was going by what you said:

25MB is hardly useless. That size typically allows you to send Word documents, spreadsheets, image files (.jpeg .bmp .gif, etc) web pages and multiple attachments. How else would I be able to share all of these files over my yahoo account?
In that post, you clearly stated that these are some of the file types you work with, and they're less than <25MB. I was referring to that in my post.

I think the implied simplicity of the document in a small file size is the problem, however there is no such fact that a small file size means simple. Technical documents are all over the place when it comes to file size, a 5000 page requirement spec may be smaller than a 20 page series of drawings.
Thank you tshuck. Brownout, if that's how my post came across, I apologize. I did not mean it to sound like I was judging you by the size of the files you said you used. I tried to specify that I wasn't judging in another post, but perhaps it's not clear.

I think you're missing my point. Wether or not I work with large files is irrelevant. Nobody here knows what I work with, and to make such a statement about my work is to speak of things he knows nothing about.
No, we do not know what you work with. We only know what you have already told us--that you frequently send "small" (my definition) files <25MB over email.

The comment is, at best, a gratuitous one. And, I believe it was intended to diminish my opinion about the topic. There is no other reason for such a personal comment within the context of a technical discussion.
Again, I assure you it was NOT intended to diminish your opinion. I would not do that to anyone. And what you believe I meant is irrelevant. What matters is what I really meant, which I have been trying to tell you. I didn't mean it to be rude or condescending in any way. It was not a personal comment. Its purpose was to tell the OP that there is a limit of 25MB in most emails, so he/she should not try to send larger (>25MB) files over email. That's why the comment was there--to inform the OP of the limits he or she might run into when transferring files over email.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Okay, time to stop this.

@Brownout
Derstrom8 doesn't mean any harm to you, in physical, mental or ethical form. Don't pick on people who are not hostile towards you.
You seem especially twichy about this thread. Why don't you take a break and come back to it later?

@Everybody,
This isn't a rhetorics contest, nor prizes are given for the best argument. There's only forum consistency to lose, through those heated pages.

For the sake of the thread:
For my daily needs, I use dropbox to keep files of up to 50MB, which I view as small, synched between machines.
For medium files, such as video clips, .wav cds and setup files, I usually use USB flash sticks.
For large files, such as .iso images, backup files and library folders, I 'm still experimenting. A friend suggested Goodsynch as a solution.

I stopped using e-mail to transport files between my computers about 10 years ago.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Another suggestion is to use SkyDrive. I'm not sure if there's a file size limit, but I use it often. It's worth creating a free account for it, and I have never been spammed by them. I highly recommend it.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Okay, time to stop this.

@Brownout
Derstrom8 doesn't mean any harm to you, in physical, mental or ethical form. Don't pick on people who are not hostile towards you.
You seem especially twichy about this thread. Why don't you take a break and come back to it later?
I never said he meant to harm me. I said his personal comments about what I do or what I know aren't germane to this topic (or any other topic) I'm not "picking" on anyone. Personal comments have no place in a technical discussion.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
No, we do not know what you work with. We only know what you have already told us--that you frequently send "small" (my definition) files <25MB over email.
Actually I said I share files over e-mail. I said nothing about what I work with. Cause I sure as HELL don't share my work over e-mail.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Fighting about who said what and trying for whom is the smartest isn't relevant to the thread either.

Resume on helping the OP otherwise this thread serves no purpose and shall be closed.

Since the English language doesn't allow me to display it, I 'm stating that I 'm using plural for this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.