From laptop to desk top

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3CFC

Joined Dec 4, 2012
Hello friends. what is the easiest way to transfer files from my acer laptop to my e machine desk top. lap top win 7 64 bit e machine win 7 32 bit.

Thank you.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I would say:

1. Crossed patch cable between the computers. (Make a small LAN with Netbui protocol, or what it's called.)
  2. USB Memory stick
  3. Burn on DVD.
  4. Rapidshare.

Conner

Joined Jan 21, 2013
In my thinking attach the cable with the computes then you will transfer the one files from one PC to another PC..wish you best of luck...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Crossover cable, basically a cat5 cable with the Rx pins switched on one side so you can go from NIC to NIC. Or use a router and set up a network on it. Then just drop and drag what ever you want. Other options would be a flash drive but if you doing 500gb that could take a while. If you plan on doing a lot of Pc to Pc transfers invest in a $5 crossover cable. This also works to share your internet without a router. So if your a hardcore gamer and don't wanna router. Plug your modem into your gaming pc then in a seperate NIC plug the cross over cable into the other Pc. Then you can share files between them at 100MBs and share internet so your gaming rig doesn't suffer any latency, but your work Pc still has internet. Its something every tech should have. Plus being here you should be able to make it.

But for 100GB or less flash drives are cheap and so are SDcards. For larger you can grab a 1TB external USB harddrive for around $50-$70 now. Which is another thing thats handy.

Windows 8 has a USB dongle cable for datatransfers now too. It has a uC pcb in the cable so it may work on WIN XP and WIN 7 with drivers. If this works I'd get one cause that would be super easy for any computer transfer, and if its USB3.0 is gonna fly.

Crossover cable
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgUKi6KIGMY

Usb cable $10
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-USB-F...8&qid=1362028624&sr=8-1&keywords=pc+to+pc+usb

Setting up a network.
So much just google it. The wizards work too, don't bother making a network disc, its faster to just create a new network unless you got 10 machines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmB2slsEBTY

Finally you could always cloud it. You can rent TB's of online storage for a couple dollars. If your just doing a single transfer you only need it 1 month. So going cloud may be a longer time, but cheap answer and heck you may like some of these auto online backup services. I'd be interested in it for my work PC. Just knowing its all backed up every night to somewhere safe.

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
In my thinking attach the cable with the computes then you will transfer the one files from one PC to another PC..wish you best of luck...
Going PC to PC it has to be a crossover cable, a normal cat 5 won't work. You can make em easy though so just splicing you could make one out of a cat 5. Just swap the Rx and Tx pins on one side. But research it because I haven't made one in a couple years.

charliewilde

Joined Mar 13, 2013
Hello friends. what is the easiest way to transfer files from my acer laptop to my e machine desk top. lap top win 7 64 bit e machine win 7 32 bit.

Thank you.
I think the best you can do is to have an access with window 7. This window contains for high speed and I have some experience regarding this matter. I want to transfer my file from my laptop to my desktop but, I'm found out that my desktop just doesn't feel quite as easy and also it is very user friendly. Therefore,I am satisfied with this kind of window 7.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Depends on how many files and the total number of bytes.
If a very large number of files and data, I would say CAT5 cross over cable.
Next choice is a USB memory stick or memory card, or LAN.
For small number of files or low number of bytes I often email files to myself.

depends on scenario if just copying then thumb drive, or burn cd or DVD. could network them using wifi or a patch cable. you should be able to just use normal patch cable because most newer systems have method of detecting and configuring them selves for crossover mode. also their are dual end usb data transfer cables for copying files between systems.
however if this is some type of recovery of the laptop you may want to use a ATA/SATA to USB cable or use sata cable inside desktop. if their IDE then you'll need a converter for laptop to full IDE.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If you're lucky, and your desktop has a sata port, and your laptop's drive is a sata drive, you might be able to plug the HD directly into your desktop's sata port and use it as a giant flash drive (go to start-->computer, and select the drive, open it, and have access to your files). However, I don't think e-machines have sata ports (not entirely sure) and I'm not sure if Acer laptops use sata drives (pretty sure they don't). Just a thought.

If Windows Easy Transfer doesn't work, I'd suggest trying TeamViewer. It has a remote desktop function, but it also gives you the option to transfer files (remotely). Might be worth a shot.

Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
If you have an internet e-mail account, just e-mail the file to yourself.
Most email servers have a limit of 25MB, which is pretty useless if you're trying to send medium-sized files from computer to computer. It would also take forever, if you're trying to run a backup.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
25MB is hardly useless. That size typically allows you to send Word documents, spreadsheets, image files (.jpeg .bmp .gif, etc) web pages and multiple attachments. How else would I be able to share all of these files over my yahoo account?

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
25MB is hardly useless. That size typically allows you to send Word documents, spreadsheets, image files (.jpeg .bmp .gif, etc) web pages and multiple attachments. How else would I be able to share all of these files over my yahoo account?
If you read that in the context in which it was presented:

...which is pretty useless if you're trying to send medium-sized files from computer to computer.
A lot of pdfs, especially, exceed that limit. I once had a 300MB pdf I was trying to transfer, and for that type of thing 25MB email limits are pretty useless.

Please don't take what I say out of context. It changes the entire meaning and makes things much more confusing.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
DerStrom8 said:
If you read that in the context in which it was presented:
I have NO probelm reading context. Neither do I take what you say out of context. I don't consider 300MB to be a medium size file. Most of the documents people work with are easily attached using web based e-mail. I've never had to transfer a PDF file between computers. Instead, I download them from the webste from which I orginally obtain them.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I have NO probelm reading context. Neither do I take what you say out of context. I don't consider 300MB to be a medium size file. Most of the documents people work with are easily attached using web based e-mail. I've never had to transfer a PDF file between computers. Instead, I download them from the webste from which I orginally obtain them.
You obviously don't work with large files enough to realize that 300MB IS, in fact, a medium sized file. Good for you--I imagine that makes things easier for you, that you don't have to struggle with large ones. However, it's not uncommon for people to have files that are several gigabytes in size. Those I consider large. Text files and image files are tiny in comparison, and if that's all you've ever had to worry about, congratulations.

I'm trying to help the OP in the case that he might have some medium to large files that he needs to transfer. Usually when you're trying to back up or recover files, they're not all text or image files. There are some much larger ones that also need to be accounted for that cannot be sent over email. This was my point all along.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You obviously don't work with large files enough to realize that 300MB IS, in fact, a medium sized file..
I don't think you're in a position to know what I work with. But leave it up to you to speak of things you know nothing about. a 300MB PDF file would be about 700 pages. That's the size of a very thick book if it were printed. Throw all the tamtrums you want, but that's not a medium size file. For most file transfers, e-mail works terrifically.

I appreciate you're trying to help the OP, so am I. I would really like it if he knew the difference between a large file and a medium size file. Medium size files are files like .jpeg which are 4-6MB. I don't give a rat's ass if 100GB files exist, most people will never try to transfer anything near that.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I don't think you're in a position to know what I work with. But leave it up to you to speak of things you know nothing about. a 300MB PDF file would be about 700 pages. That's the size of a very thick book if it were printed. Throw all the tamtrums you want, but that's not a medium size file. For most file transfers, e-mail works terrifically.
Please take it easy Brownout, I meant no offense. I simply meant that it was relative--if you work with large files (in the GB range) frequently, 300MB is a medium sized file. If you work with files in the KB range, 300MB is large. I was in no way trying to demean your level of work, I was only trying to point out that if you worked with much larger files, as I have, you would understand my point of view about medium-sized files. It wasn't supposed to be insulting. The size of files you work with says nothing about your expertise. I am not throwing tantrums. To be perfectly honest, that's what you're doing. You're taking everything I say personally, and in a way it is not intended. A 700 page book is a large book, but that does not mean the equivalent in computer file format is a large file. 300MB is a medium-sized file compared to 10-gig files that I've had to deal with in the past.

If the OP is only needing to transfer small files such as text and images, then by all means--use email! However, if the OP needs to transfer larger files, which often come up when you're backing up or recovering files, you'll need something that can handle larger files. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.