Freud and his obsession with sex!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by PG1995, Jul 28, 2011.

1. PG1995

Thread Starter Active Member

Apr 15, 2011
    Hi

I always wonder that why Freud focuses so much on sex. He forces sex in almost every explanation of his of human behavior. The
    reason for the end of his friendship with Carl Jung was also Freud's overdo use of sex in his analysis. I don't think and I suppose some of
    you would also agree that a man, at least most, is driven by innate impulse for glory, dominance, etc. rather than by sex. In my view sex is nothing more than one of human physical requirements.

2. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I think he was twsited and plain wrong. I don't know why he's taugh in mainstream.

PG1995 likes this.
  3. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    I'll have to disagree with you both on this one. This doesn't mean I agree with Freud, but the fact is sex is one of the #1 things in our psyche. You can pretend it isn't true, but it is.

It has been said a typical male teenager thinks about sex every 15 minutes. I believe it. I have seen teen age girls when they are at their boy crazy worst. It gets better as we get older, but only relatively.

Do you think women wear high heels because they are comfortable? Or men shaving (not to mention women shaving). Look around, the examples are numerous.

Freud is taught mainstream because he was one of the first to use science for a field that had never had anything even close before then. Some of his stuff is pretty close, or have you never had a Freudian slip? If some of his other theories are not very close, science moves on. We've gone a long ways to understand brain chemistry since then, among other things.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
    PG1995 and strantor like this.
  4. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I am a tobacco user (addict). I think about my next cigarette more frequently than 15min. That does not mean that my entire life is centered around cigarettes.

I do agree that we are programmed to want sex; otherwise we wouldn't reproduce. I just don't think its such an obsession that governs every aspect of our lifes like freud proposed.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Trying to tie everything to sex is what I call a mistake. Still, I have seen that sex is disproportionately important to most people. Sex has never been my basis of operation. I do it, I like it, but it is only one of many parts of life.

I have been very lucky to not be overly focused on anything like sex, money, or which color your skin is. This makes my life rather plesant. Freud would call me a liar, or some psychiatric word for liar. I see this as Freud being overly preoccupied with sex, not me.

I guess that's the bottom line. Freud was overly preoccupied with sex.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
    PG1995 and strantor like this.
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Really? Think about the car you drive vs the one you want. Would you take a bullet or die for your wife (most men will)? When a really beautiful woman walks by how long do you contemplate the wonders of the fairer sex? I tend to think it bubbles under our conscious continuously, much like Freud proposed. Unlike cigarettes our brain is wired for it.

Do you think you have a subconscious? I do, it solves problems for me out of nowhere frequently. I believe Freud came up with that theory, though I could be wrong.

Our brain and consciousness has many layers, sex is a rather thick one. It is one of the most primal layers, dating back before the reptilian brain. Do we think of sex consciously 24/7. Nope, but some portion of our brain does. It will take over pretty thoroughly when it sees an opportunity. It has its say in every choice we make ("Will the chicks dig it?").

PG1995 likes this.
  7. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    Freud (and some of his many followers) may have overestimated the importance of sex. Possibly their ideas were once taken up with a rather exaggerated enthusiasm in reaction to older Victorian ideas, which had sought to deny the importance of sex and sexual motivation. It often happens that things swing from one extreme to another.

That said, I think that sexual matters are very high up the list of many peoples' thoughts, at least for most males excepting the very young or very old. This can of course be drastically modified by physical changes which occur to us, either naturally in development and ageing, or as a result of disease or injury.

Anyone who has has their libido suddenly and profoundly curtailed by serious illness may find the experience quite a shock, and I think rather revealing of how much importance these drives have in normal health. The return of same may be equally revealing in case of remission.

PG1995 likes this.
  8. debe

Sep 21, 2010
    Well im 63 & SEX is still very mutch on my agenda & been married for 40yrs Just love it. I aint dead yet!

9. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    I think if you look at life around us, you'll see that sex comes shortly after providing for basic body functions (food/water). Although for men, it's the act of sex, for women it's reproduction, and the subsequent care of young.

In man's social environment, the basic body needs are largely taken care of by the developed infrastructure, which leaves sex as the predominent passtime. I agree with Bill.

There's another curiousity of human nature that competes with sexual stimulus, and that is war. Sometimes the two are indistinguishable.

10. prego

Aug 3, 2011
    if you look at advertisements it's all about sex. and i guess the biggest industry in the internet is about it, too. and i am not speaking of free browser games or facebook ;) (i spend most of my time playing soccerstar and grepolis, though ;) )