Fretting about a fret saw!!!

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
A while a go my dad's fret saw's switch snapped off, just taken it out, turns out it is a 'J-NOBLE U85DR' which due to a quick google search, does not seem to be buyable. It says it is '6A/96A 250v'

I am wondering whether anyone has heard of it, I will get some pics up.

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
Well it is mains, i am not sure what current it is, would it be the same as what the fuse in the plug says?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Do you still have the part of the shaft that snapped off?

If so, consider attempting to repair the switch/pot that you have. If not, you could substitute a piece of 1/4" hardwood dowel , or brass or aluminum rod stock.

Were I to attempt such a repair, I would use a short piece of 1/8" round brass rod stock, and use coarse sandpaper on it to roughen up the exterior. Then using a drill press, drill a hole in the exact center of the broken halves of the shaft, being careful to not drill more than 1/4" into the pot/switch half. Then, use a small amount of suitable adhesive applied inside the drilled holes, insert the brass rod (it must be very clean, use isopropyl alcohol to remove finger oils) and allow to cure.

A suitable adhesive may be Locktite, the type used for permanently securing screws. I have used this adhesive for many purposes, even including repairing leaky plastic carburetor floats.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well then, you could substitute a piece of hardwood dowel, aluminum, etc. or even saw the shaft from another pot and drill it.

The important thing here is to get the holes perfectly centered so that the two parts of the shaft when joined will be in perfect alignment. If the outer shaft is not aligned properly with the inner shaft, it will bind where the shaft enters the housing, and you won't be able to depress it far enough to engage the switch. Also, take care to not slop the adhesive on the outside of the shaft, or it will lock the pieces together.

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
Ah, i've found it, so what adhesive would you recommend? cause this will have to put up with push and pull force as well as just torque.

We've got epoxy, super glue etc

vane

Joined Feb 28, 2007
Used some special plastic superglue, seems to have done the job for now, thank you for all your help!