frequency of function generators

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by concievo, Jul 12, 2011.

1. concievo

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    I have a need for a function generator for frequencies up to 60 MHz,but at that frequency they are way beyond my finances. I can afford 20 MHz,but whats the use of spending the money if I can't use it for 60 MHz ?
    I ask because in article after article it is said to have one even at 5 MHz, so long as you have one !!! To me that's like saying eat dirt if you must, just as long as you are eating. Can someone explain the reasoning behind that ?

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    if used as a timing input, you CAN build simple frequency multiplying circuits to achieve higher freq waveforms

3. lokeycmos

Apr 3, 2009
    what are you using it for?

4. someonesdad

Jul 7, 2009
    State what you are willing to spend and what it is you're trying to accomplish. There might be a number of ways to get where you want to go.

5. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    The reason for articles recommending function generators with more limited frequency capabilities is that many people will find them sufficient for their needs. You have a requirement for signals at up to 60MHz, but for instance a hobbyist interested mainly in guitar amplifiers would not need such high frequencies.

Someone else might need a generator providing sine-wave or pulsed output extending to much higher frequencies - it all depends on what they want to do, and how much they can afford or are prepared to pay.

6. concievo

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Using it for ham radio trouble shooting and building up to 6 Meters (50 MHz) with a little head room to 60..

7. PeeSeeBee

Jun 17, 2011
    Wouldn't a signal generator, rather than a function generator be more usefull for your Amateur radio projects?