Frequency divider with PIC and quartz oscillator

stefangs

Joined Oct 26, 2010
Hello! I'm trying to build a simple frequency divider that involves a PIC and a quartz oscillator. It is not my domain so i kinda need some help in choosing and programming the pic. The ideea is that i should get a random frequency from the quartz oscillator (it is a didactic project so the division and the main freq doesnt need to have a certain value) and that freq to be divided by the pic and displayed on to a LCD or a oscilloscope. I would appreciate if you guys can help me with a schematic and a source code for the pic. As I said , im not that good at these things. Thanx!

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Your question is not specific enough.

1. Do you want a random output frequency from the PIC every time at power up or reset?

2. Is pseudo-random behavior of say 100 or 200 different frequencies suffice?

3. Does the frequency need to change when the PIC is powered ON? If so, how often?

4. Does the LCD form part of the PIC circuit?

5. What frequency output range is of interest?

stefangs

Joined Oct 26, 2010
I'll make myself more specific but because I don't know many thinks about this kind of project it may not be enough for you. Let's say I have a 800 Hz freq from the quartz oscillator. The PIC i have to use must divide this freq by lets say 8 times, so i can get on the LCD ( yes, its a part of the pic circuit) or if i dont have an LCD , on the oscilloscope the same signal but with a 100 Hz frequency (divided by 8).

stefangs

Joined Oct 26, 2010
The pic it's supposed to be programmed and implemented on the circuit, not to be programmed in real time. So i would have the same division every time.

stefangs

Joined Oct 26, 2010
thx for the answer. I dont understand why 254.. if i divide by 2..it doesnt mean that it rotates to the right with one position?

what pic should i use for this?