Frequency Counter Design

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by IEEE, Dec 30, 2009.

1. IEEE

IEEE Thread Starter New Member

hi all

i have a homework to design a frequency counter as follows:

1- The design must have a keypad as an input,and seven segment to display the frequency on it(output).
    2-The input wave could be square,sin wave....
    3- I must use concepts of 8088,8255,8254 in designing the counter
    4-Microcontrollers or ready IC's are not allowed in the design
    5-In the final report i should show the design with comments,flowchart,and the assembly code used to run it.

I am not too much into microprocessor interface so if anyone can help me it will be great..

THX

2. hgmjr

hgmjr Moderator

What does your circuit look like so far? Post your diagram here. Maybe we can guide you through the rest of the design.

hgmjr

3. IEEE

i really didnt make a circuit yet,actually computer engineering is not my major,so i dont know how to start,can you guide me on ideas how to choose a good circuit to work?
    thank u for ur fast reply

4. blueroomelectronics

blueroomelectronics Senior Member

Start by reading up on the 8088. It's not going to be an easy project with that old microcomputer, it's more a task for a microcontroller.

5. IEEE

I already drew this block diagram (attached) ,but i don't know how to start the assembly code

Attached Files:

6. hgmjr

hgmjr Moderator

The block diagram is a good beginning. Don't forget to account for the power supply.

Now you can begin to take a stab at designing each of the blocks you have indicated in your diagram.

hgmjr

7. blueroomelectronics

blueroomelectronics Senior Member

8. beenthere

beenthere Retired Moderator

It's pretty simple to make one with a timebase, some logic, and some counters.

School projects are supposed to be instructive, though. This is a not-too-terribly-difficult project that will teach hardware functions, I/O, and programming. Too bad it's a stinky 8088 instead of a 6502 or a 6800.