freescale programming

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Little Ghostman, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I normally use pics, mainly 18f and 30f's. I would like to try some freescale micros, at the moment the 8 bit ones.
    I have the keil demo ide and i like it alot, but what do i need to program and debug the actual micro's?with pics I use pk3 and ICD3, what is the freescale equivalent of these? or is there another way?
    I would prefer not to get a evaluation board.
    many thanks

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    If you pick a controller and go to it's page on the Freescale website, there is a list of applicable programmers toward the bottom in an expanding list.

Little Ghostman likes this.
  3. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    ok great, do you recommend any particular ones? Maybe one that covers the most devices?

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I don't use Freescale microcontrollers and the prohibitively high cost of starting with them ensures that I won't anytime soon, so I have no recommendations for you. The cheapest I found was $99. If you don't care about cost, it looks like the Cyclone PRO has the most features..

I found a list of programmers and emulators...

5. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    thank you for that, I was shocked also at the cost! its a shame as i really like the IDE.
    Looks like I have been spoilt with pics! They even gave me a free ICD3 when I had trouble with a PK3. Really good company, when I spoke to them and explained I wasnt a engineer, just a kid interested to learn micro's, they were great and set me up a samples account! and sent a couple of small dev boards.
    Maybe I should contact freescale? cant hurt I guess. I like the look of some of there Micro's but I cant afford the tool chain :(.
    Another thing with microchip they publish all the schematics of there stuff, so you can clone it! I am going to do a serial analyser based on there design and use there firmware.
    I wont use Atmel, I contacted them and there response was along the lines of, well wait until you have a job and can afford our stuff!

6. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I might look at other micros but so many its hard to choose one.

7. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I am fairly happy with Texas Instruments' microcontrollers. from the MSP430 line (low-cost 16-bit uCs) to the ARMs, I find their stuff pretty nice (They even sell really cheap dev boards like the MSP430 Launchpad and the ARM-based Stellaris/Tiva Launchpad!).

STMicroelectronics has some pretty nice controllers too.

8. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I didnt manage to contact Texas, or freescale (I might try again). But I did get a phone number for someone in the uk for silicon labs. I will have a update in a day or two ;) but lets say it went really well :D

9. russian

Sep 1, 2012
    Does it have to be a plain micro, did you consider dev boards? Because some of these you simply program via USB. stm32f4discovery is pretty amazing :)

10. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    I have a couple of neat dev boards on the way from Silicon labs, they are sending me a couple of 32 bit ones, and a 8 bit one and a dev board for there new generation of humidity sensors! All Free of charge!!!
    Really nice people, spent ages asking me questions

11. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Wow, that's awesome!

12. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I have one that tops that.

STMicroelectronics gave me breakfast, lunch, a software training session and this all for free:

[​IMG]

13. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    ...I knew I should have signed up for that...:(

14. Little Ghostman

Thread Starter Member

Jan 1, 2014
    ST wouldnt give me anything!!!