Free Ubuntu 10.10 Linux Schematic Software?

Len Whistler

Joined Dec 10, 2010
What is a good easy to use schematic software for Linux Ubuntu 10.10? I have downloaded and briefly tried::

• Eagle Light
  • The Electric
  • gEDA
None of them I like, and I tried OpenOffice Draw which is too time consuming. I would like to be able to output to PDF or PNG. I like the schematics from Everyday Practical Electronics magazine, see attachment.

-----

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If all you are interested is drawings (hence .png or .gif) you can download a set of templates from my blog I call PaintCAD. It will allow you to draw really nice schematics, you can see some examples in my albums. The other programs you listed can do other neat things however, such as simulate a circuit or help make a printed circuit board. They are not primarily meant to draw schematics, the schematics are an intermediate step.

Bill's Index

Introduction and PaintCAD

Bill's Albums

Len Whistler

Joined Dec 10, 2010
Ok ..... thanks for the replies.

I downloaded KiCad, but during my quick tests it appears to be as complicated as the other three I tried before. I need more practice on those programs.

Bill ..... I also am playing around with your templates.One question about the component shape template gif's. Shouldn't the template backgrounds be transparent, instead of white? With a transparent background each component can be cropped out and moved over the breadboard image without blocking out the underlining image.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
..These are complicated programs.. They are dealing with HUNDREDS of variables at one time, and they have to be able to handle the "battery and led" designs as well as the "multiple-cored multi-gigahertz" full blown motherboard designs.

If you are looking more for breadboarding and simple circuits, try FRITZING.

Works with DIY PCBs, breadboard layouts, Arduino (Atmel), PIC (Microchip) and others.

Quite easy, but doesn't have the power to do what the others can.... But you dont need that...yet.

It will help you get a grasp on the "layouts" of the toolsets.

http://www.fritzing.org

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I use MS Paint, that is the default. You can set it up however you'd like they aren't complicated. Sounds like you're using Gimp or some such. The sheet Symbol Shapes is where it is at however.